• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano Tor, Andyh's 35l

andyh

Nano Tor, Andyh's 35l Nano

So here is the start of my next aquascape and journal, I have stripped down my nano and started on re-scaping it. Wanted to do something different again so I have decided this time its rocks and rocks only!

For those interested, the definition of a "Tor", “this is a rock outcrop formed by weathering, usually found on or near the summit of a hill.”

Equipment List :geek:

1. Aquarium, 35L 50cmL x 25cmW x 30cmH (approx 20"x10"x12")
2. CO2 pressurized, Wave Dual Gauge Co2 Regulator with Built in Solenoid and a FE with glass bubble counter and UP atomizer. Plus Cal Aqua Nano Drop checker.
3. Lights 2 x 18w compact T5 giving a total of 36w or just over 1 watt per litre
4. Substrate, ADA Amazonia powder with a a dozen Tropica capsules. The ADA is 50% new/50% reused from the last scape.
5. Filtration, already mature Eheim external 2222, 500lph. Plus a small internal 50w heater. Hoping for some glassware for my birthday next month, until then the lovely green Eheim pipe!
6. Ferts, will be using the ADA products, Step 1, Brighty K, Green Gain, Phyton Git & Green Brighty Special Lights.
7. Hardscape, ADA Seiryu Stone

Plants

I have taken plant inspiration from a lot of the tanks here on UKAPS, with the exception of HC i haven't tried any of the others. I have already purchased the plants so here you go:

1. Hemianthus Callitrichoides “Cuba” (HC), by Tropica
2. Marsilea Hirsute, by Tropica
3. Eleocharis Acicularius, by Aquafleur
4. Utriularia Graminifolia (UG), by Anubias

I have completed the rockwork and planted the Acicularis and Marsilea, will plant the rest over the weekend and post some pictures then, when i get chance :D

Thanks for looking :thumbup:

Andyh

Re: “Nano Tor”, Andyh's 35l Nano Scape

Cheers For the vote of confidence guys and gals! :oops:
:thumbup:

Managed to get it all planted today after my parcel of plants arrived special delivery from The Green Machine.
This is very pic heavy! Sorry! :geek:
The one thing that doesn't really come out in these pictures is the height difference between front and back. (its approx 4-5"). Also ignore the equipment didnt get chance to pull it out at this stage ;)
So here it is:
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

The UG
web.jpg

The first thing that intrigued me was the UG (Utricularia Graminifolia) by Anubias; This was supplied in pot in a gel like substance not disimilar to the Tropica 1-2-Grow. After further study i began to see one of the initial challenges of working with UG in the fact it was so fine. Planting looked like it was going to be a real challenge, but i cut it into small pieces and the gel held it together nicely. This is the plant i am most concerned about from a growing perspective, as so many people seem to have difficulties with it. According to Anubias, it requires:

High Intensity Light
22-26 deg C
High CO2
pH 6.4-7.0
KH 4-8
GH8-12

Quote "It needs a good fertilisation abundant in iron. The roots are small and very fragile".

So we shall see, i am considering increasing my lights a little later, if required. I will see how things progress with the 2 x 18w over my 35l. Giving just over 1wpl or 4 wpg.

The HC/overtank/Eleocharis pic
web.jpg

The HC was straight forward, i just took the three pots and cut up into small spear shape pieces and planted individually. The 2 pots of Eleocharis Aclcularis were split into lots of stems and planted in small clumps towards the back right.

The Marsilea
web.jpg

In preparation i had the Marsilea growing in my holding tank, so i planted the stems individually

Final shot - The Cal Aqua Nano drop checker (its so diddy) and hopefully the nice slope of HC, which will carpet onto the big slab of stone.
web.jpg

Dosing/ferts

ADA Step 1 and Brighty K daily. Adding Green Brighty Special lights later.
With water changes i add ADA Phyton Git and Green Gain of which i am doing 2 x 50% water changes per week for the first 4 weeks.

Apologies for far to many pics/detail overload, I got carried away! :geek: :geek: :D

Thanks for looking :thumbup:

Andyh

nice looking set up Andy. My guess is, it wasn't intended to be an 'iwagumi' but more an aquascape which features 'stones'?

either way it looks great :thumbup:

good luck with the UG.

Looking good so far Andy and good luck with the UG :thumbup:

Mark Evans said:
nice looking set up Andy. My guess is, it wasn't intended to be an 'iwagumi' but more an aquascape which features 'stones'?
either way it looks great :thumbup:
good luck with the UG.
Bang on Mark, wasnt trying an Iwagumi, just playing with rocks. I think that will be my next challenge though, bit more reading required to get my head around the principles.
Thanks for you comments,and fingers crossed with the UG.
Krish's Bettas said:
Looking good so far Andy and good luck with the UG :thumbup:
Cheers Krish! :D

andyh said:
I think that will be my next challenge though, bit more reading required to get my head around the principles.

I'm sure you'll get it mate. learn the basics, and then just look at amano's work to understand the rest.

Mark Evans said:
andyh said:
I think that will be my next challenge though, bit more reading required to get my head around the principles.

I'm sure you'll get it mate. learn the basics, and then just look at amano's work to understand the rest.

I almost did an Iwagumi, but as soon as i saw the long piece of Seiryu stone i couldn't imagine it any other way than buried with a hc carpet growing over it, creating a shelf in my tank :geek:

So picked up some fish from my local fish shop, he had just had a big delivery and the was so much to choose from. In the end I opted for some "Iriatherina werneri" aka Threadfin Rainbowfish as they were such excellent looking fish. Always liked them in 'London Dragons' tanks too (cheers for the inspiration dude!) :thumbup: I got 4 males and 2 females to get me going.

Just a quick photo:
web.jpg

Threadfins are amazing I have about 6 in my tank and they are always chasing each other and flaring up. There great to watch.

very nice andy, loving the idea of the shelf, in fact it should be known as an Iwashelf design :D

UG is a tricky bugger to grow. Youll either do really well or it will melt to snot :( I found it really didnt like easycarbo on my nano so next time I "try" to grow it i wont use EC. Lots of stuff on the web about it including that it likes growing in non fert substrate like plain gravel.

Good luck in your quest!

Yep, good luck, it look's like it will be amazing once it has grown a little!

Krish's Bettas said:
Threadfins are amazing I have about 6 in my tank and they are always chasing each other and flaring up. There great to watch.
Yes i have to admit they have impressed me and i have only had them 24hrs, they are good to watch and the colours are excellent.
stuworrall said:
very nice andy, loving the idea of the shelf, in fact it should be known as an Iwashelf design :D
UG is a tricky bugger to grow. Youll either do really well or it will melt to snot :( I found it really didnt like easycarbo on my nano so next time I "try" to grow it i wont use EC. Lots of stuff on the web about it including that it likes growing in non fert substrate like plain gravel.
Good luck in your quest!

Yes The Shelf, should be cool! (think TGM, Jims big HC tank!) Maybe we could start a new following Iwashelf!

I am determined to get the UG to grow, i saw it in a planted tank on my travels a couple of weeks ago and it looked very cool. Perfect for a nano. I am going to google it later for more info.
What's going on with your 90cm? :thumbup:

oliverar said:
Yep, good luck, it look's like it will be amazing once it has grown a little!
Cheers Oliver
bogwood said:
Coming along nicely Andy. :thumbup:
Looks like you have some beautiful fish in there. Ive often admired the Threadfins.
You certainly like your fish.
They look great, you will see them next time your down. I do like my fish, they are as important as the plants and the scape itself! :thumbup:

andyh said:
Yes The Shelf, should be cool! (think TGM, Jims big HC tank!) Maybe we could start a new following Iwashelf!

I am determined to get the UG to grow, i saw it in a planted tank on my travels a couple of weeks ago and it looked very cool. Perfect for a nano. I am going to google it later for more info.
thats the way to do it! we need some decent UG planted tanks in the UK as they are very sparse at the moment and it looks so cool in a carpet.

andyh said:
What's going on with your 90cm? :thumbup:
nowt :( have been too busy photographing weddings and processing pictures and albums. Im mostly done now though so im going to set aside a day to strip it down and get the lava rock in there :) It needs a day really as I dont think Ill manage it in one night.

Back