• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano Tropica Aquacube 20x20x20cm [Now planted!]

Stu Worrall

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
I picked up a Tropica Aquacube the other month which has been languishing in the lounge with nothing except air in it so I hardscaped it last night with Seiryu stone and tropica aquacare underneath, ada amazonia normal then topped off with powder (read normal amazonia put through a 2.5mm bonsai sieve :D )

im thinking to keep it simple and plant the front with HC then either HM or hairgrass in the back. im up for suggestions on what i should change before it gets planted.

Substrate: Tropica Aquacare topped with ADA Amazonia then sieved Amazonia
Plants: HC, UG, Hairgrass and Fissidens Fontanus
Lighting: Supplied Tropica light upgraded to 20w halogen
Tank: Tropica Aquacube 20x20x20cm - 8l
CO2: Pressurised Sera CO2 reg and bottle with Dazs Chisel Diffuser, Boyu bubble counter
Filter: Azoo Mignon 60 HOB
Hardscape: Seiryu Stone, Heather Wood

Ive also tried to set it up so its viewable from the front and righthand side, i think there's a name for this but im not sure what :?

Front
img82081.jpg

Right side
img82112.jpg

Re: Stus Hardscape for Tropica Aquacube

How about something other than HC - it's nice, of course, but very predictable.

I think something like this deserves some planting to truly set it apart.

It's size is limiting but I'm sure there's a few species out there suitable. Ultricularia perhaps? Mosses? Lilaeopsis?

I really like this, aqua-cubes are a real piece of art like this scape. I'm definatley contemplating one for my desk in future.

Regards T

I really like it! It reminds me of Dan's FoF aquascape a little.

I would agree with George about the planting, but although HC is predictable, it will still look great I'm sure!

George Farmer said:
How about something other than HC - it's nice, of course, but very predictable.

I think something like this deserves some planting to truly set it apart.

It's size is limiting but I'm sure there's a few species out there suitable. Ultricularia perhaps? Mosses? Lilaeopsis?
cheers everybods. ive got a wodge of HC growing in my Rio 125 ready for a 90cm ive ordered so i was swayed by that for the foreground. I hadnt really thought about putting Ultricularia in as i was going to put a few shrimp in and id heard they like to tear it up a bit. Ill have to have a look at the TGM tank to see how its doing in the big iwagumi with the shrimp in.

Im having a few problems with Lilaeopsis in my 60cm i cant get it to grow low so it keeps getting a chopping now and then which it doesnt lend itself too well to. due to this it would be a bit of a challenge i suppose to put it in here.

By the way the tropica 10w halogen bulb has been replaced by a plug-in 20w with reflector which super G recommended so hopefully ill have enough light whilst still keeping the original design of the "cube".

after Georges advice ive bought some UG from TGM today, ive decided ill got for hairgrass at the top, down the UG then graded into some HC at the bottom. let planting commence!

really looking forward to this one developing :thumbup:

Nice hardscape, great photography too. This will look amazing once it's finished. :thumbup:

I like how that right side rock looks like its broken off from the main rock. It's very natural.

thanks for the comments all and cheers Tony
flygja said:
I like how that right side rock looks like its broken off from the main rock. It's very natural.
i aimed for the break, honest! im hoping that i can get something growing through it so it looks like a split that the fauna has taken advantage of.

Didn't get around to planting last night. Instead I got the Bonsai tools out and trimmed and stripped some bark off some extreme nano heather wood i'd got from the Alwen (idea borrowed from Dan and Graeme and apologies if anyone else has used it). The wood then got forced/glued into the cracks in the Seiryuo stone and im hoping it doesnt all float out once its filled with water :lol:

I should get around to some planting tomorrow with the UG from TGM and hairgrass and HC from my other tanks.

Some pics of the wood positioning below. Im trying to get a kind of cascade effect that we strive for in Bonsai where trees battle the elements on the side of cliffs, some make it and hug the cliff for shelter. Others dont make it and end up as driftwood. Once i plant it up, the "trees" that do make it should hopefully have some fissidens fontanus glued to them so they look alive. All experimental at the moment and it may end in disaster but ill give it a go :)

Front
img82571.jpg

Closer
img82623.jpg

img82602.jpg

Right Side
img82674.jpg

thanks chaps. heres hoping it works out and doesnt turn into an algae machine. Ive got the mignon 60 running on my shrimp tank at the mo to get some bacteria into the sponges so fingers crossed for not too many troubles when i plant it this week

jonny_ftm said:
Hi,

You could dry start it, HC and UG respond very well to such a start. Take a look here, end of algae fears because the soil is cycled and plants rooted:
http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6781&p=80899#p80899
i was thinking about that actually jonny_ftm, the cube would be quite easy to cover with clingfilm! The only thing is that my HC is currently growing in the water so would it have to change to emmersed growing then back again?

How long does it usually take to get settled?

Back