• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NanoCubes for Bettas

New 30l NanoCube. Will be using this wood and these plants plus a Sagittaria subulata "Pusilla" as a semi-carpet (I don't mind if it grows longer than a standard tank carpet, this is for a Betta, who will love it). Filter is a JBL CristalProfi Greenline M with a bag of sintered glass biomedia behind the sponge. Am well pleased with this filter so far. Substrate will be a mix of various aquasoils I have on hand (Amazonia, Dennerle DeponitMix, Flourite brown). Will be planting as soon as my CO2 gear arrives, will likely add more plants depending on how it looks once I get the Dwarf Sag planted.

2021-04-02 17.48.11.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, don't mean to hijack this thread,but any update on this tank?
I am in the process of setting up a 30l Dennerle nano with the hope of it housing a betta (Imbellis if I can source one) and I also opted for this filter instead of the corner one supplied with the kit. I have also packed the recess behind the sponge with nano filter tubes. How has the filter performed so far, is the water flow ok for a betta?
I have it seeding in a mature tank at the minute but am unsure about the power of the outflow in a smaller tank.

Hi, don't mean to hijack this thread,but any update on this tank?
I am in the process of setting up a 30l Dennerle nano with the hope of it housing a betta (Imbellis if I can source one) and I also opted for this filter instead of the corner one supplied with the kit. I have also packed the recess behind the sponge with nano filter tubes. How has the filter performed so far, is the water flow ok for a betta?
I have it seeding in a mature tank at the minute but am unsure about the power of the outflow in a smaller tank.

You're not hijacking unless you came here to take over the thread with pics of your own tanks! :D Comments and questions are always very welcome.

I'm still running the tank with that filter. When I first got the filter, the inhabitant was a female Betta who had short fins and was fine with the flow. An Imbellis also would probably not struggle too much. The female Betta died about six months ago, and I got a male Half-Moon and was forced to baffle the flow using some airline.

However, I've already had to replace the tiny little pump inside the filter (it was a bugger to find the replacement, as well!). Another constant issue is BBA growing on the black sponge- I've already had to replace it once and it's overdue to be replaced again.

Attaching a photo of the tank when it was probably at its best. I didn't dare fill it up all the way as the female Betta was definitely prone to jumping.

I greatly regret using Seachem Flourite, which is far more orange than it is brown, and I also regret trying to grow a carpet of Sagittaria subulata- it refused to stay small, and the reason I'm not posting a brand-new photo of the tank is because the Sag choked out all the cryprtocorynes. The echinodorus are still surviving, though, as is the Rotala h'ra.

2021-11-15_16.38.42.jpg

Well ,your tank looks great there, the substrate doesn't look too orange at all and the Rotala H'ra looks very lush.
I have a Fluval flex 57l which is home to some CPD's, an apisto and some orange shrimp. When I was setting that up the out flow was too strong so I used some coarse filter sponge over the nozzles to stem the flow. Will try and do something similar to the Profi M if it's too strong when it's set up, perhaps a thin strip inserted in to the out flow.
I haven't kept Bettas before but have heard they're good jumpers, so will keep the water level down and a cover on the tank (when I can eventually source the fish I'm looking for).
Thanks for the info on the filter, if anything goes wrong with it hopefully it will be in the next 12 months (covered by warranty),and will cut some spare sponges in case of BBA.

Back