• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nanos are amazing!

BigTom

Just set up a 1' cube, cost about £16 to completely fill it with plants. Seems amazing coming from my ridiculously dimensioned Bucket of Mud! I feel like a cheat :lol:

Sneak peak, may set up a journal for this little chap -

dsc8773f.jpg

Tom, what you got growing in there? Acicularis in the front, right? What's in the back?

Can't get much to stay alive, let alone grow, in my P@H 27l. Been blaming the light but can't get away with that now.

You injecting co2? Adding NPK?

Hehe, it's only been set up a day so everything may yet die! Yeah, E. acicularis in front, L. brasiliensis in the mid and M. micraithemoides at the back, which I still need to plant properly. The first two I know are hard to grow without co2, so I'm just hoping to keep them alive and healthy, hence planting densely to begin with. Will be dosing small amounts of TNC's complete liquid ferts.

These tanks come with the light and filter then? I'd use my own filter anyway but the light would be useful if its decent?

I read opposite that E. acicularis in front, L. brasiliensis should grow without Co2 without problem. Some plants are not that picky as people think to be. How many pots you planted? Are these from AE?

Radik said:
I read opposite that E. acicularis in front, L. brasiliensis should grow without Co2 without problem. Some plants are not that picky as people think to be. How many pots you planted? Are these from AE?

Yeah we'll see how they do. Hairgrass was from a pond supplier (£6 for three 9x9cm pots!), lileaopsis was 3 pots for £10 from Dobbies garden centre. MM was pulled out from my main tank where it grows like a weed.

Wood is just little bits of heather collected from the great outdoors :) Layout needs tweaking a bit but some of it is still trying to float so will wait til its behaving itself better.

BigTom said:
Hehe, it's only been set up a day so everything may yet die! Yeah, E. acicularis in front, L. brasiliensis in the mid and M. micraithemoides at the back, which I still need to plant properly.

Yeah, I thought the HM was the most demanding one. Considered it for my nano but discounted it.

BigTom said:
Will be dosing small amounts of TNC's complete liquid ferts.

Now that's interesting. Is it an EI type pre-mix? How much you using?

Was thinking this morning that maybe the reason my plants are dying isn't the lights but the ferts. "Duh" I hear you say. Except I've used nutrasoil so was assuming that the stems would get all they need from that.

However, I notice that the ones that are clinging on for dear life are those that went in with some root structure. Those that were put in as trimmings melt and die dead fast. It may be that they aren't able to make use of the substrate but might have survived if I dosed the water column.

Am thinking I might chuck in some of my APFUK EI mix in there and see if it helps.

Also love the sense of depth you've created with the wood BTW.

Yeah, NPK plus Mg and trace - http://www.fluidsensoronline.com/zen/in ... cts_id=404

Recommended dosing is about 3ml a week, which seems to be broadly in line (I think, haven't got my calculator out!) with the sort of approach Tom Barr takes with non CO2 tanks - http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.ph ... O2-methods. Just going to play it by ear and adjust dosing according to how the plants/algae do.

I've used ADA Amazonia II as the substrate, because it wasn't unreasonably expensive in a tank this size and I could actually buy it in town the day I wanted to set up.

Back