• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Native plant ID.

Sarpijk

Hi all, currently residing in a Greek Island I found this plant growing in a flooded agricultural ditch.

The ditch also had reeds , many frogs and on the plant roots I found some really small shrimp like creatures.

Any help?
aa134d923100bfd1720ed9ae4a493053.jpg
c0949e5044ecd41c8047520a4f6e5004.jpg

Thanks Darrel, I will snap some more pics in situ if that helps. Can either be used as a floating aquarium plant?

Hi all, I don't see why you couldn't use Apium nodiflorum

It likes hard, nutrient rich water and is a rampant grower.

It's been wildly invasive is my pond and would have probably covered the surface of the pond at least three times in the last year if I didn't keep stripping it out. It has been excellent for maturing the pond though as I haven't had any algae issues and a plus of the flowers being loved by all kinds of insects.

If you were to use it in a tank I think you'd need to be very strict in keeping it trimmed as it gets very leggy and thick stemmed (like celery) and about three foot high. It does have an abundance of new smaller growth however which you could keep, removing the larger bits.

Hi , I went there again and this time I captured some of the shrimp like creatures I mentioned? Are they Gamarus? The dart around like shrimp. The big ones are dark.

Sorry bad photos I will try to get some better.
7b0e939eb70abeedf87f26a03a9385d1.jpg
416801e4d54297b6e0ce8643758c1277.jpg
d4d6371a8eca5bf604eb5f7bf19a4d2b.jpg
0aa83bf9b07cbe5e7044bd73650ae1c8.jpg
086d2b6015f1df06217e77ce0c43217e.jpg

Hi Darrel, do you think it would be safe to add these creatutes to an aquarium with neocaridina sp.? Would they survive getting eaten by my white cloud minnows?

Hi all,
do you think it would be safe to add these creatutes to an aquarium with neocaridina sp.? Would they survive getting eaten by my white cloud minnows?
I'm not sure, our native Gammarus spp. have a high oxygen requirement and tend to expire in warm tanks. These ones may be more successful.

<"Fish definitely eat them">, but only the real small ones would be eaten by WCMM. I haven't tried Gammarus (or Hyalella azteca) in the tanks, but I keep other <"similar crustaceans">, I've found that <"Asellus"> can persist in tanks with cichlids etc., but Crangonyx succumbs over time. I would imagine an effective nocturnal predator (most Catfish, Kuhli Loach, Channa etc.) would eradicate Asellus pretty quickly

There is also the risk of introducing the <"Killer shrimp"> Dikerogammarus villosus. I don't think your are a Dikerogammarus sp., but it would be <"worth checking".

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back