• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
I increased CO2 injection rate and also added 15ml of Seachem Excel in a 40L tank.

Is there a chance that the Excel overdose will effect negatively any of the following plants (like it affects Valis):
Eleocharis Parvula
Java Moss
Christmas Moss
Weeping Moss (Fissidens Fontanus)
Hemianthous Monte Carlo
Flame Moss
Hydrocotile Tripartia
Hemianthous Micranthemoides
Stayrogen Repens

Thanks

Yes it should be, but the plants are telling you that it isn't. Maybe your injection is weak at this point. I don't really know exactly because I'm hundreds of miles away from where the tank is. What I do know is that plants and algae never lie, so the only thing to do is to give them more of what they are asking for until you solve the riddle of why what you were supplying isn't sufficient.

Again, when plants are melting they are telling you to decrease the intensity.

Cheers,

The tolerance of moss is pretty high (relatively speaking). The grass and the others ought to be OK. Not sure about the hydrocotile though. You can start with bottle suggested doses and increase from there if you're unsure.

You are not limited to any injection rate if there are no fauna in the tank so increase it as high as you want.

Cheers,

Day 11!

The Stayrogen Repens have continued to melt and some melted completely.

ujudu2ub.jpg

Hydrocodile Tripartia and Hemianthous are not in good shame but remain the same.

eve9arum.jpg
azuvyqe6.jpg

Eleocharis and montecarlo remain the same and I can see some growth.

ma2ysunu.jpg

Xmas moss has some tips growing.

ruhupesy.jpg

Java moss still brown.

pasuputa.jpg

Wheeping moss is stable but gets dirty and I dont know why.

tysety4e.jpg

A few snails are sprouting. ..should I keep them or get rid of them?

ysaqyvud.jpg

After the melting I have decided to up the co2 rate and add 15ml of seachem excel...I really hope it helps!

ura2epud.jpg

Thanks

It would be more helpful if we would know a bit more....such as when lights come on and off, when CO2 comes on and off and a full day pH profile (lets say from 9am until 9pm) measuring the pH every hour.
I will try to get some readings within the week

Day 14!

Not much to report at the moment. The stayrogen repens completely melted and will be replaced with the same species again...not all melted, just the ones that were emmersed before.

Now that I dose daily 5ml seachem excel and uped the co2 rate I hope that the next repens will not melt.

Java moss still brown and everything else is stagnant.

bu8u5e4u.jpg

Thanks

A really good tip I read about Staurogyne is to cut it so you only have four leaves or so left at the top. The whole plant should then be about 2cm tall. Remove the bottom two of those four leaves giving you a good stem to plant into the substrate. The plant will then grow strong and healthily. Its a bit of leap of faith, as it looks brutally cruel, but having lost my first lot, I tried this on a second lot and have never looked back. It generally doesn't take well with plants the size you have them. They'll soon take off.

Day 16!

No progress but also not much negative effects.

y8enurat.jpg

I have added a small fan to the tank and it has dropped the temperature from 32 to 28 degrees Celsius. I dont know if that will help or not.

je2ype4y.jpg
de3u3y8u.jpg

I can see that some of the leaves of the montecarlo look like something chew on them but I have no fauna so maybe a snail or is this some kind of deficiency?

6a8yvu9e.jpg

I can see some growth in stayrogen repens but nothing else is growing...should I be alarmed?

Thanks

I have added a small fan to the tank and it has dropped the temperature from 32 to 28 degrees Celsius. I dont know if that will help or not.
Yes it helps. There is an approximate 10% increase in CO2 solubility when the temperature decreases from 32 to 28 deg.C

You can also try to cover the tank with glass or acrylic sheet to retain some gas and slow it's egress from the water.

Cheers,

Yes it helps. There is an approximate 10% increase in CO2 solubility when the temperature decreases from 32 to 28 deg.C

You can also try to cover the tank with glass or acrylic sheet to retain some gas and slow it's egress from the water.

Cheers,
What about the fact that I dont see growth? Day 16 and only repens grow?

Well, I mean, get over that fact as quickly as you can. What about the fact that they are not melting into oblivion? That shows progress in my book.

Cheers,

Well, I mean, get over that fact as quickly as you can. What about the fact that they are not melting into oblivion? That shows progress in my book.

Cheers,
Day 16 and the light intensity is 30%...when and by how much should I increase?

That chapter hasn't been written in the book yet. Light intensity was how you got into trouble right? So now you want more trouble?

That tank has a long way to go. It's still on life support.

Cheers,

That chapter hasn't been written in the book yet. Light intensity was how you got into trouble right? So now you want more trouble?

That tank has a long way to go. It's still on life support.

Cheers,
So do nothing at the moment right?

Day 18!

The water looked cloudy and there was a thin oily film covering the water surface so I decided to do a huge 70% water change.

Not much has changed but I increased the co2 a bit more just because I can :)

88fc2f03ad8271ff140cd1f13b50dba9.jpg

Thanks

Should I pick out the sails in the tank? Are they bad for plants?

They will not eat healthy plants or do healthy plants recover rather than unhealthy ones?

Back