• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
This is a lovely tank, I was watching it on Ebay and saw it on here lol Looks like you are doing some amazing things with it too!!
Cheers Danny, it was an opportunity too good to miss and I'm itching to get it planted now.

Stunning hard scape right up my street, really looking forward to this tank along its journey ;)

Cheers
Thank you.
It's funny, i really like your hardscape too :)....i would like to see more updates of your tank, share and share alike, your tanks a beauty!... no pressure mate, just when you can ;)

Just ordered my plants :) and have a few coming from generous members hopefully :)
I also think I maybe too impatient for dsm after all :)
Cheerio,
Ady

Don't mean to Jack your thread hear ady but I agree with you that Aron needs to get an update out here :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Got to say as nice as the tank this looks like is the hard scape here is far better! I would love to see this done very simply with just a carpet of something leaving the hard scape totally exposed :)

Got to say as nice as the tank this looks like is the hard scape here is far better! I would love to see this done very simply with just a carpet of something leaving the hard scape totally exposed :)
Thanks Danny, but the sand will be remaining sandy and the hardscape will be getting green....sorry :) I know what you mean though, I love the texture of the rocks, and that will be lost under plants.

Normally by now I'm set on placement of plants, but I just can't decide on whether to place bolbitis in mid ground or as a backdrop to each side at the rear with something smaller in the middle ground. I think I may need to play with the ferns whilst the tank is full to see what suits best.
Cheerio,
Ady

Plant list:

Anubias nana
Anubias nana petite
Microsorum sp. needle
Microsorum sp. petite
Microsorum sp. trident
Microsorum sp. windelov
Bolbitis Heudelotii
Bolbitis difformis (1 to try emersed on emergent wood)
Hydrocotle tripartita Japan
Taxiphyllum barbieri (java moss)
Taxiphyllum sp. peacock (peacock moss)
Vesicularia montagnei (Christmas moss)
Vesicularia sp. creeping (creeping moss)
Fissidens fontanus
Riccardia chamedryfolia (coral pelia)
Lomariopsis lineata (round pelia)
Riccia fluitans
Vallisinera nana

Seems a lot of species, but some of the moss and ferns are small amounts I have currently which ill add to see what does best. I can always remove what doesn't fit or work.

Cheerio,
Ady

I think you've got the ferns and mosses covered:) The vallis is an interesting choice though, not often seen, and in my opinion under-utilised and underrated. I'm sure it'll look awesome.

Plants all ordered :D
Im away this weekend but should be planted next week.....no dsm.
Cheerio,

Hi mate
how are you doing ?
Nice list of plants ! As i can see you are going on a low maintenance tank, only slow growing plant in there ? Are you tired of trimming, pruning etc ... ?
For a crypt "lover" like you not, even a crypt on one side of the island :lol:.

Mate I am really looking forward this tank get planted.

cheeeers man

Hi mate
how are you doing ?
Nice list of plants ! As i can see you are going on a low maintenance tank, only slow growing plant in there ? Are you tired of trimming, pruning etc ... ?
For a crypt "lover" like you not, even a crypt on one side of the island :lol:.

Mate I am really looking forward this tank get planted.

cheeeers man

Im good thanks Zanguli :thumbup:
Not sure how low maintenance this will actually be, moss i think needs more than people give credit, and because of the relitively low plant mass, balancing c02 light and nutrients may be tricky, especially during the early months until things get established. Oh and not to mention the light sand, i can see that needing frequent attention :mad:
Never really grew anything fast enough for lots of trimming, i seem to always go for slower tanks in that respect, either through plant choice and or lighting levels...... one day i need to challenge myself with some faster stems!
Yes, no crypts.....i have a love hate relationship with them, they are one of my favourite plants, but i still dont seem to be able to give them all they need, im considering my options distribution wise in this tank....but it will be a palette entirely of greens.

Cheerio, and thanks for your interest :thumbup:

Plants all ordered :D
Im away this weekend but should be planted next week.....

Nice Ady,..:) I like your plant list. It's going to be a real winner, this one. I can really feel it. You've performed really well in all previous attempts and I see no reason for you not create the same magic on this one. Just one thing though,...they only seem to be getting better & better :). All the best & have fun on planting day.

Nice Ady,..:) I like your plant list. It's going to be a real winner, this one. I can really feel it. You've performed really well in all previous attempts and I see no reason for you not create the same magic on this one. Just one thing though,...they only seem to be getting better & better :). All the best & have fun on planting day.
Cheers Faizal :)

looking forward to seeing it planted I must say ady and like faizal says all you other tanks have been stunning so not expecting anything less :thumbup: best of look and keep us updated

cheers Dean

Plant list looks spot on ady, this scape is really shaping up to be superb, how will you go about attaching the mosses now your not dry starting ? Look forward to seeing this planted mate.

Hi Tim,
ill be using a mixture of techniques, good old fishing line on rocks, mesh and riccia stones, superglue (cyanoacrylate) gel and good old fashioned 'wedging' :p

I should probably qualify my reasons for deciding against the DSM.....
basically im too scared to do it :lol:
Its a large initial outlay for plants, and most likely the plant mass will be small to begin with due to the nature of some of the species used. DSM may help you increase this mass faster than submersed, but without any experience of the method, or even any emersed growing, its a big risk for me financially. There are numerous threads about moisture, humidity, temperature, misting, gas exchange etc and it seems it can go horribly wrong, or not work well. You have to worry about mould, the heat were currently experiencing, the plants actually attaching, then even if it succeeded having more worry again when filling that the plants then melt :eek:.....without root stock to regrow from the plants used (mosses/pelias) need replacing if they fail! :inpain:
I am more accustomed to planting in the usual way, i only have to worry about keeping them alive once using reasonably low light and huge c02 injection! The fill in time will be slower no doubt, but i feel more comfortable with it.
One day i will attempt a dsm, just not this time....i need some personal experience of it on a smaller scale first :bookworm:

Cheerio,
Ady.

they are lovely set ups, the new ones even better imo. Oh, and i am terrified of that light, its an eye burner, i need to be careful!

thanks Joel, Amano has done some very nice island scapes, and has inspired me.

020.jpg

Cheers Alastair, thanks for the really positive feedback :happy:
Black is a bit safe, but wont detract from the scape now though :p

Again, many thanks Gary...trick is not to bump the car, its cheaper that way ;)

Cheerio

Hi, sorry to hijack this post! What species is the stem plant in the above tank? Is this rotala sp "green"?

Back