• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Hi,
ive removed all the hydrocotle and staurogyne now as i felt they didn't really suit. The front right foreground needs some weight to balance things up, so i may try moving the lower anubias covered rock out a little. I wish id kept a little fissidens covered branch from the shrimp tank as this would have been perfect, if the anubias doesn't suit ill make up a moss mesh with some trimmings :)

P1140132_zps8bbd4f16.jpg

Cheerio,
Ady.

Glad youve kept this running mate. Looks better each time.
I quite like how the right side looks. Could you not pull in the little bit that's out on the left???

Thanks all :thumbup:
Al, i cant move that left hand cluster as the rock is tucked right up against another, i could trim the moss etc on it a little to loose the 'weight', but the structure will stay the same. Just needs a little something to balance things up on the right i feel, although it is a favourite feeding spot for most of the fish so im sure they wont appreciate it!
darthpaul, its just black cardboard sheet from an art shop...not ideal to go behind a tank full of water but its a few inches back on the wall.

Took a quick photo last night and entered it into iaplc to up uk representation....no changes to lighting and didnt even remove filter pipes etc :p Last day for entries is today so if you havnt already submitted yours get em' in :)
EDIT.....OH ****, closing date is 31st may, not march!!!

Cheerio,
Ady.

Last edited:
Ady could you be kind enough to show us how you've configured you lily pipes & flow pattern in your tank. I see 2 outlets,...is the outlet of filter no 1 situated opposing to the intake of filter no 2 & vice versa? I'm just trying to get an idea about how to go about flow & distribution in a tank with so much hardscape.

is the outlet of filter no 1 situated opposing to the intake of filter no 2 & vice versa
exactly, although its not perfect, hardscape just gets in the way especially at the rear. Flow in this tank isnt great, to be honest it could do with a lot more hence the low lighting used.
Cheerio,
Ady.

exactly, although its not perfect, hardscape just gets in the way especially at the rear. Flow in this tank isnt great, to be honest it could do with a lot more hence the low lighting used.

Despite its shortcomings though,....that's a sweet tank nevertheless Ady:)

Thanks all :thumbup:
Al, i cant move that left hand cluster as the rock is tucked right up against another, i could trim the moss etc on it a little to loose the 'weight', but the structure will stay the same. Just needs a little something to balance things up on the right i feel, although it is a favourite feeding spot for most of the fish so im sure they wont appreciate it!
darthpaul, its just black cardboard sheet from an art shop...not ideal to go behind a tank full of water but its a few inches back on the wall.

Took a quick photo last night and entered it into iaplc to up uk representation....no changes to lighting and didnt even remove filter pipes etc :p Last day for entries is today so if you havnt already submitted yours get em' in :)
EDIT.....OH ****, closing date is 31st may, not march!!!

Cheerio,
Ady.

Oooof best cheat and get some co2 pumped into my tank for the next 2 months ;)....

I get you with the right side mate. I didnt realise the left wasnt liftable. Still looks great.
Ill get one entered one day.

Hello again, pic heavy update :)
Going over the same ground really as not much changes, although i have let things fill in again which alters things a little bit and gives an excuse for the photos ;)
Ive been busy with family life lately, taking advantage of the better weather and taking opportunities for some home decorating so have been a little absent on the forum recently :sorry:.....hopefully will find time to check in more often.
As the tank remains really simple to maintain with its slow pace and little demands it seems to look pretty healthy long term, but the addition of all the crs from the nano has made a noticeable improvement to the cleanliness of the mosses in particular, they need no extra cleaning at all and look pristine so i can definitely vouch for the inclusion of good shrimp numbers to help with tank husbandry :cool: I think they do a great job of removing biofilm from plant leaves which I'm sure can only help plant health by increasing c02 availability. I still get a little filamentous algae around the upper regions, but nothing too invasive and I'm sure a couple of siamensis flying fox would prevent ever seeing it at all. As the rest of the tank is looking pretty healthy and there seems to be a good balance for flora and fauna, I'm happy to leave things as they are.

P1140282_zps03661511.jpg

P1140293_zpsc75258f0.jpg

P1140339_zps5add2924.jpg

P1140353_zpsef26557e.jpg

P1140370_zpsea59d713.jpg

P1140378_zpsc6fa2369.jpg

P1140308_zps6091477f.jpg

P1140272_zpsc7c6bf93.jpg

Cheerio,
Ady.

Maybe a trim on the central wood mosses would give more perspective over the back wood pieces or maybe tie them a bit ...
oh yeah, its looking shaggy alright :D much fuller now and a trim is due. Ideally the whole hardscape could have done with being about an inch or two further back as space is very limited in the front centre in particular which adds to the feeling of narrowness. The lace plant at the rear would help add more depth if it ever got tall enough, i may need to add some mature crypt balansae or aponogeton crispus there instead to get an extra dimension for photos.
Its amazing how different it looks now from just the hardscape:

3bdm.jpg

P1140272_zpsc7c6bf93.jpg

got a quick video last night, thought id share that too, best viewed in 720p

Cheerio,
Ady.

Awesome Scape :snaphappy:

Welcome to Jurassic Park :photogenic:
I really like this natural overgrown look! Great Job!

Is this a Eheim Skim in the Background?

Awesome Scape :snaphappy:

Welcome to Jurassic Park :photogenic:
I really like this natural overgrown look! Great Job!

Is this a Eheim Skim in the Background?
Thanks Iceman,
i loved the scape, ranked 1303 in iaplc, it got much more overgrown :wideyed:, but has now been taken down.
It is indeed an Eheim skim in the background, plants or not i always have an oily film on my water surface, be it fresh or saltwater :confused: The skimmer is a godsend :thumbup:

Thanks to all who commented on and contributed to this journal, im sure ill have another one in the future but for now im running a 120cm plantless tank.

Cheerio,
Ady.

Back