• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Natural Light Emersed Growth

vencrypt

Seedling
I started around end of May beginning of June on my emersed growth, right after my 10g tank leaked and I had to put all of my plants emersed (I also got many plants from Buceplants but most of them died, entirely my fault as I was in the middle of moving and didn't have time to plant them immediately)

Anyway, I want to use this journal to keep track of how my setup is going by each week (or month?)
I'm not sure if you guys would be interested, but I will have photos attached just to see how much they've grown.

Lets get on to it now.
fullsizeoutput_14cd_by_mutanteevee_ddb1til-pre.jpg

initial setup

sp_toce9qpoa_g_gwk9wiq_by_mutanteevee_ddb1pb6-pre.jpg

dwarf harigrass

yoga1l52tqg_kbfvcgg13w_by_mutanteevee_ddb1pa7-pre.jpg

(top left) Ammannia Gracilis (right side) Ludwigia Palustris (left side)
Hygrophilia Siamensis

cqpetkyjq7mfihtro9k2xw_by_mutanteevee_ddb1p9x-pre.jpg

(top) Rotala Indica (middle) Rotala sp. pink (bottom) Rotala sp. fujan

f2nbnjngtfsli2qo9ajixg_by_mutanteevee_ddb1p99-pre.jpg

(top) Creeping Jenny (bottom left) Rorippa aquatica (bottom right) Ludwigia ovalis

mjl5k_yzqhm8b5ipdutwwg_by_mutanteevee_ddb1p8w-pre.jpg

Just put them in about a week ago so they're still in the process of converting
(top) Dwarf saggitaria (bottom) Alternanthera reineckii

2m5_rakyqaq4z3bnmxxmdg_by_mutanteevee_ddb1p8f-pre.jpg

Most of it is Ludwigia repens, only the bottom 2 stems are Ludwigia arcuata

I also have eleocharis vivipara growing in a separate bin but im too lazy to take a photo, but it's in the middle of converting as well.

It would be great if you guys gave me any tips or suggestions in my setup, thanks !! I'm hoping to sell these later on as well.

Yes we are :D

I have nothing else to add though as I only toss the odd bit of MC aside for “emerse keeping” when I’m rescaping

I did try to save my MC carpet I had from my 10g but unfortunately all of it melted away, but I'm glad I'm restarting soon!

This was my tank:
dWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.jpg

I just lift the MC clumps out of the tank and place in plastic bin with minimal water - just enough to almost cover if I don't have a clear lid for the bin (I rarely use cling film) - keep on window-seat that receives shaded sunlight

If a smaller takeaway container with lid, I add just enough water to cover roots (open occasionally for “fresh air”)

In this way, it grows slowly and I’ve yet to experience any melt

At intervals, I rinse and add fresh water

When replanting, it establishes very quickly (if added CO2 etc)

I also did that except I cut a hole in the top and put plastic wrap so it could hold the humidity. It all melted anyway, but I would like to retry it again. I'll try to do that way then when I do, thank you.

Looking at the Missouri USA average climate and sun hours a day.. Than problems you might run into at the shortest sun hour cold periodes during the year is that it aint sufficient for a number of tropical plants. And especialy not if kept to wet while growing emersed. Keep an eye on that and keep an artifiacial light source at hand if necessary. :)

Looking at the Missouri USA average climate and sun hours a day.. Than problems you might run into at the shortest sun hour cold periodes during the year is that it aint sufficient for a number of tropical plants. And especialy not if kept to wet while growing emersed. Keep an eye on that and keep an artifiacial light source at hand if necessary. :)
yep I understand, I already have an indoor light area in my basement that is ready when the winter comes, thank you though!

So I haven't updated in a while now (Since July 6) and it has been almost a month now. Here are some update photos:

WARNING: HEAVY IMAGES !!!

Ludwigia repens and arcuata have finally bounced back from almost being drowned. A lot of the leaves withered ):
Before (July 23)
untitled_by_mutanteevee_ddddjkv-pre.jpg

After: Aug 3rd
untitled_by_mutanteevee_ddddiwr-pre.jpg

Dwarf hair grass has a lot of seeds that started sprouting at the top and is still sending roots here and there.
yfxrywa4qawyhonbtxsszg_by_mutanteevee_ddda0jl-pre.jpg

Tall hair grass is growing slow but steady. It has finally adapted to emersed life.

dnt9hogrrncb0rniirct8q_by_mutanteevee_ddda0j0-pre.jpg

Pearlweed and hydrocotyle are steadily growing horizontally.
eodcf9zrqt_e3hbotf8kdw_by_mutanteevee_ddda0ii-pre.jpg

Creeping Jenny kind of stopped growing... thinking not enough sun. Rorippia has also stopped propogating ): The one stem of Ludwigia ovalis is growing tall though, and today (Aug 5) it has actually flowered and I am so happy !! I might trim it soon though since it is getting too tall.

8rtem1rftaaygf_zkwsx5a_by_mutanteevee_ddda0h7-pre.jpg

My Rotala plants have also bounced back after being watered too much as well. I learned it is better to not water enough than to over water.

uccyzjg8q_eupqlyoglzqg_by_mutanteevee_ddda09k-pre.jpg

I trimmed my hygrophilia and planted them for propagation, and the old leaves are dying but I see new leaves sprouting. Some fo the leaves have turned white and some have been burnt. If anyone could tell me why, please comment down. The ammannia gracilis and Ludwigia palustris are taking over the bin though!

mgb1qsitsc6l4u9k2bt8dq_by_mutanteevee_ddda088-pre.jpg

Alternanthera reineckii is growing strong, dwarf Sagittaria on the other hand... grows so very slow!!

jo5yhnqhq7k4wmbacncina_by_mutanteevee_ddda0g5-pre.jpg

Monte Carlo and dwarf baby tears are still in their converting stages even after a month... ): I wish they would grow faster

ua7vmwwotf_lqr64nptesg_by_mutanteevee_ddda0hu-pre.jpg

The last 2 photos are closeups of Ludwigia ovalis and Alternanthera reineckii.

e91378815967f48ebb53c17146235ea6er1-1536-2048v2_00.jpg

8855fb669e5eac369b5887d4e0856429cr1-1536-2048v2_00.jpg

Last edited:
Back