• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Naturally add co2?

plantbrain said:
oliverar said:
OK, thanks that was a very helpful answer.

You might try both methods and then see what you prefer for a given goal.

This "goal" is 100% yours, it is not mine, or anyone else.
If you see a tank you like, do that.

There are many locations in nature where CO2 is high, 30ppm etc, Bonita springs, in the Mato Grosso Brasil, perhaps 100 or more springs in Florida USA, Pupu springs in NZ, 100's in China, Thailand etc. Anywhere there are limestone fed springs and warmer temps.

Most have had plants continuously for 1000 years or more.
Ponce de Leon looked for the fountain of Youth in Florida in the 1500's, they found many such springs full of plants. These same springs are still full of rich lush plant growth, lots of happy fish etc.

So there are examples of each case for aquariums as well.

So it's not "unnatural".

Say

Low light/no enriched CO2= 2% growth per week
Medium light/no CO2 = 4%
High light /no CO2 say 6%

low light/medium CO2(say 6ppm) = 5%
med light/med CO2 = 9%
high light/medium = 12%

Low light/high cO2(say 35ppm) = 6%
medium light/high CO2 =10%
high light/high CO2 = 20%

Plants still grow in each case, but it is the rate of growth that changes.
We also have issues with some plants being very aggressive with rates of growth compared to other plants, this means they will strip the water of CO2 much faster than other species.

So plant- plant competition for CO2 is intense and becomes more so as light is increased.
Enriching CO2 allows us to grow a wide range of plant species together, where we have fewer choices with out CO2.

Excel/Easy carbon is another way to add CO2.
As far as ugly CO2........well, out of sight, it's not ugly since you cannot see it.
One of the aesthetics for dutch scaping is not seeing equipment etc.

So this could be stated for a dozen things aquarist keep out in the open(heaters, pipes, etc).

The best arguments for CO2 are a wider range of species to be kept, good healthy growth, pruning options, higher light use efficiency, less light needed to achieve the same level of growth, and a speed of growth that keeps the aquarist more interested than non CO2.

I tried to weasel my way around CO2 and gas tank systems for years.
I still do :D

But it's a very useful tool.

Learn to use it and then see.
You can always go back to non Co2.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Ok, that is an excellent explanation, so just to double check I have understood it, What I should do is set up my planted tank just as I like it then fiddle around with supplement's till I am happy with plant growth and there is no build up of excess co2 etc. ?

Back