• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nature Stylish -60x30x42 lowtech

Raekz

After trying out for a bit with different tanks, fish and plants, I finally settled on this 60x30x42 tank. The tank will stay low-tech, no added ferts, unless it’s really needed by the plants. Will keep waterchanges to a minimum, might do topoffs with osmosis water only. Still deciding to keep a heater in it or just keep it at room temperature. I’m trying to create a Nature style tank, with only Crystal Reds, Oto’s and maybe some corydoras or rasboras species. I know it will take a pretty long time for everything to grow in, but I’m already happy with the looks of the tank after I just planted it.

Tank: Juwel Rekord 600
Stand : DIY ADA Style cabinet (Thanks again brilliant people in the DIY topic here on Ukaps!)
Lighting: Juwel Daylite 15w T8 (Considering to swap this one with a Philips TD840)
Fiilter: JBL Cristalprofi e401 & Internal sponge filter
Substrate : ADA Amazonia Soil
Hardscape : Spiderwood & Seiryu stone (Seiryu stones might come out, if I notice it affects the pH too much, time will tell)

Plants
- Cryptocoryne Balansae
- Microsorum Pteropus Trident
- Micranthemum sp Monte Carlo ( I know, its gonna be a longshot in a low-tech tank)
- Echinodorus Magdalensis (tryout, just want to see if I like this plant)
- Fissidens Fontanus tied to the spiderwood
- Vesicularia dubyana also tied to the spiderwood

I don’t have any photo’s during the setup of the hardscape, didn't think about it, just wanted to get it planted. I’ve used MC before, planted it in ADA Amazonia Powder. This time though, I forget putting powder variant for the MC field, so I went through hell and tried to plant the MC in normal sized ADA Soil…as a resuIt I had to plant chunks instead of stems, so I’m kinda bummed out by this, I think it will have a lot less chance to grow out now, seeing its a low-tech tank. Guess time will tell and I’ll just have to be patient.

Anyways, on to the pictures! Sorry for potato quality, took all photos with my phone...

After filling it up;

23moikx.jpg

On the DIY cabinet (yeah, I know I have to fix the hinge on the door...just lacking the motivation);

2cp2jkh.jpg

With our brutal, bloodthirsty, warmongering guard dog :lol:
9vjhax.jpg

After one day and cleared up;

Juwel Daylite 15w
2e5ljqg.jpg

Philips tld 80 15w 840
a3cz9s.jpg

Which brings me to my first question, which will work best in this tank? I'm kinda liking the Juwel one, its 'crisp and clean' . However, the more yellowish from the Philips makes it look more natural. I'm liking both, however, my main concern is under which light my plants will do well?

Cabinet looks brilliant, as does the scape! Good luck with the plant growth, looking forward to it!

So, almost one week ago, time for a small update. Monday I will be getting 5 Oto's to help with the diatoms and just because I think the little guys are awesome!

Also decided to stick with the Philips t840 instead of the Juwel Daylite. I did, however, add a LED beam which I found in all my fishtank stuff. I'm really happy with the outcome of the added light. No idea yet what the effect will be on the plants, have to wait it out. Counting on a lot of the plants to melt away anyways, before popping back up strong and adapted, so time will tell.

Tank & Stand;
25399998470_6c4444c8c1_z.jpg

Sideview;

25582143352_70a4928c67_z.jpg

The LED beam attached to the hood of the tank. I do realize it's not the most pretty way of adding it, however, it does what it needs to do. Besides, tiewraps, wd40 and ductape are all essential in DIY projects, right?
25674692866_5f68153fd5_z.jpg

Guess I won't be able to use the Futterautomat (Yell it out loud with a German accent) anymore;

25700849125_d72068dde1_z.jpg

I'm really happy with the visual outcome of the tank with the added LED. Still have to tidy up a bit, regarding the heater, wires and filter inlet.

Onto the plants!

For now, I'm spotting minor algae on the ferns, other then that, they are doing fine. The Echinodorus Magdalensis seems to be getting transparent. Maybe it's adjusting to being submerged? Bottom right.
25608455481_3bb6bfda05_z.jpg

The MonteCarlo is still a 50/50, once again, the planting was pure hell in a non-powder ADA soil...still looks ugly and messy. Might switch them out for Lilaeopsis Mauritius if it melts away. The good news is that it doesn't seem to be melting for now;
25400334900_ae1ecbe427_z.jpg

The Fissidens and the Vesicularia seem be shooting new greens, so that's going well too;

25070650024_30fdce6fa7_z.jpg

I'm thinking about just letting the mosses grow and see how it goes. This weekend ill try to remove the brown parts of it, perhaps some leaves of the other plants that are not 100% as well.
The waiting game just started now. I'll keep an eye on the plants and see how they will be doing in the coming weeks.

Just a quick update on the tank as it stands right now;

2ms118o.jpg

Seeing that it's a lowtech tank, there isn't really much to tell haha! Plants seem to be doing fine, I've removed the dead/dying/algae leaves and that's pretty much it. Doing 15% waterchanges weekly, before the lights go on. For now its just tap water, might switch to RO (Osmose?) water when I get CR's, should it be needed to bring down pH.

MC still seems to be doing fine and the Fissidens is getting prettier every day. I think I'll pull out the Echinodorus Magdalensis on the next maintenance, still thinking about a good replacement, suggestions are welcome.

Interesting to see what you say about the Echinodorus. I have Ech. Quadricostatus which Mick.dk tells me is the same plant as Ech. Magdalensis. I'm running high tech with CO2 and my drop checker is right next to it and lime green verging on yellow, so it has good CO2 levels. I'm getting a similar issue, in that it goes transparent. I have had some leaves that are partially damaged which is fish damage, but other leaves that just go transparent over the whole leaf. I'm seeing this both on old emmersed leaves as well as on newer leaves. The plant seems healthy, its growing and putting out runners like mad with new plants on them, but even some of the leaves on the brand new plants have gone transparent.

The tank is looking lovely...and i am really admiring your handiwork on your cabinet...the hinges are looking okay to me...just saying...but wouldnt have realised anything if you hadnt mentioned it..:)
Looking forward to seeing how your moss and monte carlos progress ..here's hoping for nothing but the best..

Thank you all! I'll have to be patient now and let it gooohoo...,erm, grow I mean. Gonna start dosing with Profito soon and see if it affects the plants in a beneficial way.

@Wisey , I've taken the liberty to make some closeups for you, should they be of any help. It has grown a lot in 3 weeks, you can compare the photo's from first planted to previous post.

It's more difficult to see on the photo then it is in real life, but hopefully its obvious that it is a lot less green then the other plants.

25913798982_a664a13ccb_z.jpg

This doesn't need a lot of explanation I guess...

25939870761_e12e6ab26e_z.jpg

Weird part is, this part went straight into the soil and has a better color then the other parts. It was on the end of a 'runner', don't know if that makes a difference. When I got the plant, it had a 10cm runner;

25733715430_9c49c36d6a_z.jpg

I'll give it a few more weeks to see if it adapts and stays alife, if not, I'll pull it out and look for a good replacement. I think it's most likely a ferts issue, because I'm not dosing anything at the moment. Anyways, maybe these photo's are useful to compare with yours Wisey.

Attachments

• 25913798982_7944db7399_k.jpg
    25913798982_7944db7399_k.jpg
    897.6 KB · Views: 142
Thanks for posting that, the transparent leaves you have care very different to mine. I removed all men two days ago and so far no new news, so can't show you at the moment.

From what I have read, this plant grows fast and therefore shows nutrient deficiencies earlier than other plants, so that could ge your issue. I'm dosing EI, so I'm guessing my issue is something else. I'm aLeo persevering for a few more weeks and will see how it goes.

Weekly update time :D
I've ordered a fertilizer that should arrive next week, plant growth seems good, but I'm starting to see some signs that the plants are getting hungry. Other then that, everthing just seems to grow without too much issues. The lowtech approach requires patience, but with a 15 month old daughter running around, that's not a bad thing imo ;) Because of her, this tank will also be getting different inhabitants then just shrimp and oto's.

Tossed a bag of Purigen in the filter a couple of hours ago, I'm curious if I'll see a difference tomorrow. Maintenance time is planned for tomorrow, so the photo's are as the tank is right now.
Anyways, quick phone pics;

26166808896_afbdca4923_z.jpg

Upclose;

26100296742_099f1f1232_z.jpg

The runner got a runner :D and needs ferts :(
26166816906_5efcf8100c_z.jpg

The Monte Carlo keeps surprising me. I've read a lot of different experiences from people with this plant and I seem to get lucky with it in every tank so far. Growing slow but steady, minimal melting and shooting some runners.

Also, started another tank that's gonna focus purely on Crystal Red shrimp, here's a sneak peek;

25913472580_e40f8a06cf_z.jpg

I'll keep posting updates in this journal, even if it's just for my own way to quickly have a look at the progress of the tank. Thanks again for those who commented and gave tips.

Small update time again.

I've added about 30 RCS and 4 Oto's, which brings the total amount of oto's to 8. They are masters in hiding tho, so it's a rare sight to see them all out at once. I'll be adding around 15 Boraras Maculatus next week, after that I won't be adding any more livestock. Added Purigen a week ago, the difference is noticeable! It's been clear, but this is a new level of clear sorta speak haha! Also started with adding ferts, curious about the effects on the plants. I actually had to remove a 15cm runner from the Echinodorus, it keeps on growing.

Anyways, some shots for those interested;

02-03-2016

2dayd8m.jpg

09-04-2016

302z1ah.jpg

Neocaridina heteropoda

2a60d3b.jpg

Oto's in the back

34rizr9.jpg

I'm more then happy with this tank right now, it's low-tech but growing just fine. No drama with algae so far, no hours of maintenance, just enjoying the tank as it is. When the Boraras Maculatus are added, it will bring some more life which is nice for the eye. To be honest, I would be happy with plants only, so far I'm really enjoying the plant growth every week.

Last edited:
Update 01-05-16;

26689725061_565b123c08_z.jpg

The brown bit in the back is a catappaleaf. Everything is just coming along fine, still no algae drama or anything else. Started dosing a all in one fert 2 weeks ago, seems to be doing a good job. Still amazed by the Purigen, water is crystalclear. MC is finally growing in, gonna cut and replant the parts that the Oto's dug up so it will cover the open spots too.

My other tank is finally ready for shrimp;

26689720421_283676b6f5_z.jpg

Still nothing spectaculair, lowtech as it is. Still enjoying the tank, after maintenance, I grab a cup of coffee and just watch the tank when the lights go on.

Oh yeah! Purigen rules! I noticed too the crystal clear water effect

Envoyé de mon SM-G935F en utilisant Tapatalk

Update 23-05-2016;

27163924476_1da6a3e99d_z.jpg

So, I'm toying with the idea to break down the tank that was meant for CR's and re-use the wood to rescape this tank. It's about 5 months old now, but I'm starting to get bored of it allready lol. I want to go full junglemode, so the huge open space on the left has to go. I think I can use the spiderwood from the other tank to accomplish what I have in mind.Thing is, I've got a lot of baby shrimp, is there any way to make sure I've got all of them out of the tank when I'm doing the rescaping?

Or, should I stick with this tank and try to convince the Misses that I should get another tank?

I'll just keep the tank running as it is right now, the main reason being that I can learn a lot from the development of this tank. This is my first real planted tank and I've learned a lot so far. At the moment I'm trying to get rid of the BBA on the Fissidens and some on the Monte Carlo, try to do it the natural way, so no strange powders or chemicals. I've moved the spraybar from the back of the tank to the sides of the tank. For now, the BBA isn't getting worse, I think the main reason is because I've added more live stock (after a tip from a fellow aquadude) which helps with natural ferts and because my plants are now kinda blocking the added LED bar. Also, I've read that Fissidens is kind of like a magnet to algae of all sorts, so I'm okay with a bit of algae here and there to be honest.

Anyways, just some quick phone pics to show the tanks current state;

27249989234_3106c49a06_z.jpg

The Monte Carlo is getting thicker, I think it's time to trim it a bit, but I'm kinda scared to do it;

27250221823_dbe53a6509_z.jpg

Don't pay attention to the filthy glass, like I've said before, my 1,5year old is a fan and keeps putting her dirty little hands on it :D

Also, the shrimp seem to be enjoying the tank. Here is a shot of half of the group during dinner that was meant as an extra for my Oto's ;)

27615879021_cd2c891899_z.jpg

The next tank I'll do will have a lot more depth, I want to play with slopes and depth a lot more. Ah well, we'll see how things go. Thanks for watching the slow, boring lowtech tank again ;)

Back