• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Natures call: Alex's First Planted Tank

Time for an update. The marsilea was getting covered in algae so I removed it (sorry beeky). I also moved half of the eleocharis to the front and will soon be ordering a crptocoryne wendetti tropica to put where the eleocharis was. Other plants I may be ordering as well are cryptocoryne parva and rotala rotundfolio. Also I have noticed a lot of "dust" gathering on the wood. I don't know if it is dust so i've taken a picture to see if anyone knows what it is.

The "dust"
DSC02806.jpg

Some updates on how the tanks looking. The anubias has two new leaves.
DSC02821.jpg

DSC02819.jpg

DSC02820.jpg

And finally a side view to show how dense the cabomba is
DSC02834.jpg

Oh and I have had some good news. I can definately get the snowball shrimp, and they will be coming around mid march! I can't wait :D

Please comment.

Another update. I started to get bored of seeing the "dust" on the wood so i decided to take action. So I took both pieces out of the tank and gave them a good old wipe with some kitchen towel. I think it was just rotted plant debris in the substrate that had been disturbed during maintenance and then settled on the wood. When I took the wood out I accidentally uprooted some cabomba :( so i decided to take it all out and replant it. I was in a bit of a rush planting it first time so some of the stems were a bit bruised so i neatened them up and replanted them all. That was friday but today i got fed up of seeing lots of bits of plants getting trapped in the eleocharis. So i uprooted it and removed the debris and it is all now in the foreground. There is no sign of any algae so I have plugged the other arcpod back in. I am 99% sure that i will be ordering the following plants tomorrow:
Microsorum pteropus "narrow"
rotala rotundfolio
cryptocoryne parva

Now for some pictures. I arranged the cabomba so the smallest stems were in the middle and i will try to retain that shape when pruning.

DSC02845.jpg

DSC02853.jpg

DSC02854.jpg

DSC02860.jpg

As for the shrimp they should hopefully be coming soon but it depends on the weather.

The plants came on Thursday so i planted them all up, but found the microsorum "narrow" was a bit too large so i put it in another tank. I put the rotala in the back with the cabomba, and the cryptocoryne parva in between the wood. The cabomba has grown a lot, but the hairgrass isn't doing much, probabaly because i moved it, so i've upped the photoperiod to 8 hours to try and get it going.

DSC02897.jpg

DSC02903.jpg

DSC02888.jpg

DSC02889.jpg

Thanks for looking.Constructive critiscm welcome.

Time for an update. I've taken this tank apart today because were having to decorate my room and change the carpet because some tropica plant substrate found itself onto the carpet and left a huge brown stain and a horrible smell :? So were having to paint the room and change the carpet for my birthday so the tank had to be emptied and moved :(

But on the bright side i have an empty tank to set up :) I've got some nice pieces of rock from AE so await a journal ;)

Back