• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nature's Hideout

Hi all,

Difficult to say from the photo, but it seems to have little bumps on the stem? Which make me wonder about /www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants/utricularia-gibba']Utricularia gibba[/URL]">?[/I]

cheers Darrel
Hmm yes but I think it's not that.. I tried to make a better picture with my phone cam. But tapatalk resizes it to smaller.
20210212_171731.jpg

Hi all,

You are right, definitely not U. gibba. I'm not sure, it might be Cladophora, if it is it will be "gritty" when you roll it between your fingers.

cheers Darrel
Jup as I see it is, and after just reading the horror story on aquasabi I'm not very pleased.. That is going to be one long journey, I don't want to restart my tank already..

Okay that was an epic fail the algea where exploding everywhere, the krobias ate every schooling fish I've added except for the salt/pepper corys and the big harassed the smaller one so much. Now i placed them in my big tank downstairs and they seem to be best buddy's there swimming with each other all the time..o_O Well anyway it gave me an opportunity to change my idea for this tank and make it a black water one, so I cleaned all the algea added japonica shrimp (such great employee) lowered the light intensity to by 30% added alot of leaf litter I've collected over time and some botanicals. Stained the water with rooibos tea and added some plants that supposed to survive lower lights and where from south america, Helanthium tenellum, Hydrocleys nymphoides, Hydrocotyle leucocephlala. Yes there are still some crypts and javafern but I was not really going for an all SA biotope.
Now just waiting for plants to grow in a bit more as far as that goes.. I still insert some co2 with a reactor just for the plants.
The dimmer yellowing light is also really great addidition for a bedroom tank :)

51404548179_585494cd03_b.jpg

How to keep the water tanned?
I add rooibos tea every waterchange and it get very dark but after 3 days the tannins are almost gone.
There is no carbon or purigen in my filter.

Same thing happens to mine. I believe when this was discussed in another thread, the answer was that the tannins are broken down by light fairly rapidly. From memory a bag of peat granules in the filter was suggested as a longer term (weeks rather than days) solution.

Love the look of the pencils in that tank - are they Nannostomus marginatus?

Same thing happens to mine. I believe when this was discussed in another thread, the answer was that the tannins are broken down by light fairly rapidly. From memory a bag of peat granules in the filter was suggested as a longer term (weeks rather than days) solution.

Love the look of the pencils in that tank - are they Nannostomus marginatus?
Okay that explains it, I thought the tannins just stayed until they got deluted by a water change. Funny when started with the wood I wanted te get rid of tannins for a clear tank and now it stopped leaking I want tannins

Yes the fish are marginatus a very fun and active fish. I also got 3 apisto borelli and 10 Cory habrosus.

Hi all,

A couple of /www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/rain-water-and-a-case-of-its-curious-ph.62803/#post-619419']Alder (Alnus glutinosa or A. cordata etc) "cones"[/URL]>, added every couple of days, might do?

cheers Darrel
I might try this since I have a big bag of them stored away.

Okay that explains it, I thought the tannins just stayed until they got deluted by a water change. Funny when started with the wood I wanted te get rid of tannins for a clear tank and now it stopped leaking I want tannins

Yes the fish are marginatus a very fun and active fish. I also got 3 apisto borelli and 10 Cory habrosus.

Nice! It’s a fish on my hit list! Have you had any of them jump?

Yes! Today I finally managed to get my hands on some Parotocinclus sp.3 was searching for them for a while but now I am the proud owner of five of these. I hope they will do well in this setup they are still really small 2cm max but I could get a picture of them in low light black water anyway.
51547020470_67db151591_b.jpg

Yes! Today I finally managed to get my hands on some Parotocinclus sp.3 was searching for them for a while but now I am the proud owner of five of these. I hope they will do well in this setup they are still really small 2cm max but I could get a picture of them in low light black water anyway.
51547020470_67db151591_b.jpg
hooooooooooooooooooot damn they are NICE! Congratulations on your gorgeous fish and lovely tank!!

Very nice, there is not much about about them on <"PlanetCatfish"> and I think all these little Loricariids are <"difficult to keep long term">. This is what <"Larry Waybright (@apistomaster) says">, he is about as good as it gets.
Thanks for the info, there is definitely little known about them. I have beach and oak leaves in already had some sweet chesnut in it aswell although it gets eaten really fast by the 3 oto's and amanos in there so I will add some more in it too hope they will eat that. I was a bit hesitating to buy them after reading stories like that since they are not the cheapest fish, but I really do hope that they will live a good life.

Back