• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nature's Hideout

Luciën

Hi All,

So i'm starting a new journey with our bedroom tank. The dimensions are 80x35x40cm so a bit of shallow front to back depth to play with but okay it will be alright I guess.. The tank is a mess now but i'm keeping it running for the fish for a while..The internall filter is going to be replaced by an external filter.. Bought a new Co2 art reg with BF sales. Only have to figure out if i'm going tu use inline diffuser or a sera reactor I have both lying around.. Not really a fan of co2 mist but the reactor takes away flow.

I think it is going to be a wood only hardscape, have bought very big pieces of wood so that probably fill the tank enough..
Trying a dry start with mosses on the wood I have Fissidens fox, F. polypodioides, F. phillipins, F. adianthoides, Ricardia mixed to gather and Vesicularia sp. china separate. Already cut the wood to size and have used a the yoghurt method and I keep it in a container as the tank is not drained as said above.. Keep it in daylight under a window as I have not really a spare light fixture at hand..

20201203_202800-800x1500.jpg

Hope that this would work out nice.. I mist twice a day now keep a small opening for ventilation,. Any other tips are welcome.. :)

I left the mold on hoping it would go away but it still doesn't. I hope that this don't kill the moss. Maybe using yoghurt and wood is not such a good idea.. Did use only one teaspoon of natura Greek yoghurt.
Really no one with experience about this here?
1bdbf7969c0a950eac5df38c718dab46.jpg

Greetz, Luciën.

I have no experience with dry start, but have you tried spraying it with hydrogen peroxide?

Nope I didn't. I'm afraid that it would also kill the mosses.

Greetz, Luciën.
It doesnt like it, but if you do it once, it usually survives. It survived dosing 3x in 2 days here in my tank because some bba started growing on it. BBA is gone, but it did need 3 weeks to recover.

It doesnt like it, but if you do it once, it usually survives. It survived dosing 3x in 2 days here in my tank because some bba started growing on it. BBA is gone, but it did need 3 weeks to recover.
Yes but dosing in a tank or on dry start moss that did not even started to grow, seems kind off different too me..
I do spot dose bba in tanks sometimes but even then not on moss..

For now it looks like the most of the fluffy mold seems to dissappear with mistig the wood with ro water twice a day.. So I have good hopes..

Greetz, Luciën.

Yes but dosing in a tank or on dry start moss that did not even started to grow, seems kind off different too me..

For now it looks like the most of the fluffy mold seems to dissappear with mistig the wood with ro water twice a day.. So I have good hopes..

Greetz, Luciën.
Ah for some reason I assumed you had already flooded. Yeah it wouldnt survive that :/ Good luck with the misting!

Greetz, Luciën.

I didn’t know moss would hate it...

Good that you found a solution :)

Hardscape is looking good! Even though the tank is only 35cm deep you managed to create good depth! And how is the moss doing? I did a couple dry starts with moss and yoghurt, but recently did an attempt with moss and crushed soil! This works a lot better in my opinion, no smell & no mold! See the video about how i did it.

I have planted it will make a photo when it clears up..

But I really want to know, now I have the standard eden(oase) in out flow with a spraybar from left to right over the wood and it returns over the bottom the flow looks pretty optimal for the scape.. But I really don't like the look of it, want to install an lilly pipe but I am worried about the flow. The filter is rated 1000l/h tank is +-100l. There is a reactor installed so the flow is cut back a bit.

So extra light is installed. Changed the in/outflow for a glass pipe and flow seems enough, I see the plants in the far left corner slowly moving.. The woods still releases lots of tannins even with the waterchanges but it will clear one day i'm sure :) ..

50803897597_28c69532e2_b.jpg

Here is the star of the show (one of the two) thats why it has so many hideouts, they love the caves..
50803827136_c5c94e2259_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back