• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NatureScape - The End

I realy wonder how that all works, male and female.. Since they are not captive bred.. And i don't see scuba divers sellecting the catch. :) Mysterious!.. Isn't it? Transgender on demand?

Hi all,
I realy wonder how that all works, male and female.. Since they are not captive bred.. And i don't see scuba divers sellecting the catch. :) Mysterious!.. Isn't it? Transgender on demand?
There was a discussion on the "Fish Hut" facebook group, Colin Dunlop is the owner and a well known fish breeder etc.

The general view was that it must reflect the situation in nature, but no-one had an explanation for why.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, There was a discussion on the "Fish Hut" facebook group, Colin Dunlop is the owner and a well known fish breeder etc.

The general view was that it must reflect the situation in nature, but no-one had an explanation for why.

cheers Darrel

I once heard or red a story don't remeber which it was, could be in the lfs..
The culling process after the catch was to blame. Only the most colorfull are in demand and end up from net to bucket and the dull ones are thrown out/back again. In a way i can't imagine this beeing the reason, the demand on females isn't that low. And it would be a hell of a job with such a tiny fish sp.

I once bought 5 of them and specialy sellected 2 bright red and 3 dull grey Badis.. Didn't take long, about a week for 2 grey ones becomme firy red. One never colored it had a greyish purple tone with faint vertical lateral bands, it also behaved differntly, more solo. While the red ones always were pairing up. Not realy showing typical territorial behaivor. But hence what do we know about fish communication?. So i can't say it didn't add up to the common sex description. They were always peacefully sharing the same space in pairs and foraging around not putting attention to the dull colored one and visa versa.

I once heard or red a story don't remeber which it was, could be in the lfs..
The culling process after the catch was to blame. Only the most colorfull are in demand and end up from net to bucket and the dull ones are thrown out/back again. In a way i can't imagine this beeing the reason, the demand on females isn't that low. And it would be a hell of a job with such a tiny fish sp.

I think there could much truth in that. Most fish caught in Asia end up on the Asian market, the demand there is mostly for colorful fish, male-female ratio usually is not much of an issue. And wen trading your catch on the local marketplace it might very well be an advantage to have the most brightly colored fish.

a second argument is that it is quite common to only or mostly remove male specimens from nature. Removing females will have a much bigger effect on the health of a population then removing mostly males. If your livelihood depends on catching fish you don't want to wipe out the population. So if putting the females back helps to ensure a good catch next season, you might be willing to put some effort in to that.

Stunning scape Tim. Would wood have you used on your scape please? Also I’m thinking about getting one of the dimmer controllers, are they easy to program?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great videos. Is it the gnarled manz Wood the aquarium gardens sell or a different type? If exactly the type a shape wood I’ve been looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's usually all from the same source, Tom Barr who collects it from the Californian chaparral. However, he only sells wholesale to shops now. So your best bet is AG.

It's still going...
I haven't been able to spend anywhere near as much time on it as I would have liked so it's gone over a bit. No large water changes in months, sporadic fertz and maintenance.
But I've reduced the light intensity to 80% and that seems to be a good trade off; well the GDA on the glass doesn't seem to be so prevalent :rolleyes:

49032234018_e66112c132_b.jpg

by Tim Harrison, on Flickr

It's still going...
I haven't been able to spend anywhere near as much time on it as I would have liked so it's gone over a bit. No large water changes in months, sporadic fertz and maintenance.
But I've reduced the light intensity to 80% and that seems to be a good trade off; well the GDA on the glass doesn't seem to be so prevalent :rolleyes:

49032234018_e66112c132_b.jpg

That just looks so lush and green, stunning

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Can i ask Tim how you inject co2 is it inline diffuser ? Whats dosing regime?

Thanks dean

Can i ask Tim how you inject co2 is it inline diffuser ? Whats dosing regime?

Thanks dean

I use an original Up inline atomiser. Fertz, around 4-8 mls of TNC Complete per day.

Nice Tim, how are the Badis?
Thanks. I last saw them a couple of days ago hunting amongst the moss, they seemed to be doing okay.

Loving the moss Tim
Thanks @PARAGUAY :) It's a combination of mini Christmas moss and Fissidens.

The mini Christmas moss is doing a bit too well. I think it's time for a rescape,
but it seems a bit pointless at the moment; we're relocating to Yorkshire.

49204609907_98c86f5064_b.jpg

Back