• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NatureScape - The End

They are indeed...:thumbup:
Rotala mexicana "Goias"....any updates!
I reckon you're right about that. I planted so many different Rotalas that I don't know for sure what's left, but that makes perfect sense. Thanks Hoggie :)

I've also started to resume the original dosing regime again, I'm noticing what I think is a K deficiency in the leaves; some are developing pin holes.

48161889791_c36691ab93_b.jpg

Warts an' all photo of the tank as it is now...I've been away and not had chance to look after it as I would have liked. I think I may need to do some serious maintenance...

48386553141_ccb3bbdb3d_b.jpg

Nice plant Biomass there Tim ;)
Thanks. Everything has gone banonkers especially the Rotala. It's now growing out of the top of the tank in its emersed form. Not sure how easy it'll be to bring it back to the way it was in post 482 above :meh:

the Rotala. It's now growing out of the top of the tank in its emersed form. Not sure how easy it'll be to bring it back to the way it was in post 482 above

Think thats going to be a two stage recovery.

1. cut back hard or lift it all out, replant the best top stems then wait for it to grow back nice in the top stems.
2. rinse repeat the first step, cutting out all the emersed form

Rotala does grow fast so should be too painful.

Could of been worse, could have reduced the flow and a tank full of 'staghorn' :eek:

Just cut the stem plants at the base or slightly below substrate if you can get access - I like to remove them completely (as much as possible, depending on root system) with syphon running at hand (filter on or off depending)
BUT add 5-10X Prime dose first (insurance) - and this takes a lot longer and bigger water changes so depending on livestock may not be best method

Jurijs and Green Aqua leave the old stem bits and roots in place :D

Replant nicest stem tops and it will immediately look so much better

Mine looks the same at the moment, rotala are invasive!

It was fun to use them but I won!'t use them on my next scape, too lazy to trim it every 10 days

Several hours, a bucket three-quarters full of cuttings, one heck of a mess and phase one over... Carpet trimmed to reveal yellow spots where the MC has been shaded out. The Rotala and Ludwigia cut back to near substrate level and the tops replanted. The mass of H. verticillata and R. inundatus has been thinned out, along with the Bolbitis heudelotii.

I've also cut nearly all the moss off the manzi at the front of the tank; it had grown massively thick and was creating too much shade and becoming too much of a distraction to my viewing pleasure. Just have to tidy the rest of the plants up and clean the filter, pipes and lilies etc. and then nurse it back to health. The fish are happy to have some swimming space back...

48396140561_86af1f2f34_b.jpg

48396282582_ce45c93e2a_b.jpg

48396141151_6353330ef9_b.jpg

by Tim Harrison, on Flickr

Haha...I know, right! It's pretty severe and decimated compared to what it looked like just 4 short weeks ago. The challenge will be to see if I can get restore it to its former glory :confused:
That was a major trim Tim!
Looks good........:thumbup:
Thanks hoggie, I guess it could have been worse :)

Back from my hols and in my absence the scape seems to be growing again quite well. It's still a little scruffy looking but I'll do some more trimming and maintenance over the next few days.

48510440992_64f4051a03_b.jpg

Tim Harrison, on Flickr

Nearly there with the scape again. The stems have been trimmed twice and need to grow in again and then another trim and all should be back as before if not better.
I've also added another Buce and Anubius Bonsai, which has filled out the gaps, thanks to @Siege and @Geoffrey Rea at @Aquarium Gardens for picking me out a couple of stunning plants.

48586097487_e13af80181_b.jpg

by Tim Harrison, on Flickr

Since my last post, I've upped the intensity of the TwinStar S Series to 100% and lowered the light a couple of inches. The photoperiod is 8 hrs including a half hour ramp up and down. The carpet of MC has all but recovered, and the stems seem to be responding well and have changed growth habit a bit, tending toward bending away from the light.

And I bought more fish, perhaps too many. More cardinals, lemon tetra, supposedly rosey tetra, but more probably Hyphessobrycon bentosi. And for me the find of the century a tiny male Scarlet Badis and two females...

48698613732_fe745fdd41_b.jpg

Tim Harrison, on Flickr

Back