• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NatureScape - The End

In my holding tank, which was moved from the cabinet to the floor.
I've thought about putting the 45-P on the cabinet next to the 60-P...but that's as far as it's got ;)

“Holding Tank” calls out for a photo

(Geneva conventions an’ all :p )

...or freedom of information act o_O:p
I posted this pic earlier, message #63, it's nothing special just a SuperFish 30cm cube. I don't have many fish left so they are quite happy in among the tangled mess of plants...

28677633127_3c74faaa88_b.jpg

:lol:

did see that but didn’t realize any fish “being held”

I suspect the green neons won’t mind “criminal element” - as they are all tetras

Thanks Ed, It was bit pot luck they didn't have much in the way of colour so it was difficult to sex the female. The male was easy though, he was chasing everything.
am waiting to select a pair from some wc to put in the Blue backed.
I think they are awesome little fish and will be a great addition, and right at home.

Hi all,
Look like a pair. Mike Wise @Apistogramma forums says the only sure way is by looking at the <"blue spangling in the humeral spot">, so the combination of blue spangles and pink belly patch looks good for a female.

cheers Darrel
I watched for any signs of aggression from the male and there isn't any, in fact quite the opposite. So along with your info as well Darrel, I'm pretty certain I've managed to find a pair...at long last.

The fins also make me think male and female. On the male the first couple of dorsal rays and the first pectoral ray elongate. Your juvinille is showing signs of this also and the female is not.

The 'forehead' shape also supports this being a pair. The female is more of a straight line, the male has a curved forehead.

Literally every indicator shows up the right way round!

Thanks for the extra confirmation Matt. I swear I could sex these fish in my sleep a couple of decades ago. But I'm guessing the females have since been bred to become more colourful and therefore resemble males more. No? And I suppose it doesn't help that most of those for sale are juveniles.

IMO a pair as well. I've kept many pairs of these, usually have a pair in almost every setup size permitting. Maled hardly ever if at all exhibit the red spots on the stomach, another thing is over the the forthcoming coupled of weeks the male will grow a lot larger than the female.

When very young they tend to spawn a lot so it shouldn't be long before you know for sure. They're awful parents though when kept in a single pair probably because the majority of these fish are artificially spawned. The "pairs" also tend to fall out a lot. They don't really pair up as such and would swap partners willy nilly given half the chance but as they have no choice of partners they will fall out but get together just to do what nature intended. Either fish will tend to eat the eggs when they get bored of each other. Probably why they get artificially raised so much which then has the down side of passing on the not really caring about their offspring gene.

Very popular in lfs so breeders don't leave it to chance. I've kept these fish and tried to breed them for decades and have yet to raise any spawn, for that matter I don't think I've seen anyone else either. Never tried removing the eggs though, maybe one day. They are also very susceptible to hexamita. Once treated for worms though they are pretty bullet proof. They are also quite prone to just popping their clogs with no apparent reason, just starts off with striping up and heavy breathing when all other fish are well.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

It is mate. I think it comes from them being kept in sterile conditions from the breeders so they tend to pick it up when they go in a normal tank. I solved mine with harkers worming stuff.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

Back