• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need advice on a neon

Dave Y

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some advice on an issue with a sad little neon tetra. I have a 200l tank with 16 neons and a bunch of cherry shrimp, its been going for a good 6 months now. All been ok until tonight when i noticed one of the neons has lost its back fin :( Im looking for some advice as to possible reasons?

Its a planted tank with co2, - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate are fine. I do at least 1 if not 2 50-70% water change per week. Currently dosing tnc complete 2x per week. All the fish have seemed perfectly happy, and the rest still do, just an issue with this one. He also looks painfully thin compared to the others despite a varied diet.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks
Dave

Attachments

• 20200113_195735.jpg
    20200113_195735.jpg
    816.1 KB · Views: 173
Always difficult to tell from an image, but I'd guess probably fin rot. Either way you have nothing to loose by treating it. eSHa 2000 is usually very effective and well tolerated.

This fish is definitely a candidate for a hospital tank - where it’s much easier to monitor and he won’t need to compete for food
And in case this is infectious, much better that he doesn’t just “disappear” in the big tank
(the “fin rot” seems to have reached the body - this is a difficult recovery - especially as fish is already thin)

Back