• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need help- circulation

Sacha

I need serious help with the circulation in my tank. The tank is a Juwel Rio 125. It has the internal filter (upgraded), so 1000 lph. And an external APS 1400 lph. So 24x turnover total.

The Co2 is injected using an UP inline atomic diffuser, so the Co2 comes straight out of the spray bar.

I need to find the optimal angle/ positioning for the spray bar, and the internal filter outlet pipe, which provides just the right amount of surface agitation (not too much to drive off the Co2). I need good flow low down, and all the way from front to back.

I am literally going insane trying to sort this out. I am hoping to speak to someone who has a similar setup (spray bar + internal outlet), who can recommend the best angles and positionings. I think the main problem areas are low down in the tank, and along the back wall of the tank, as those are the plants that are doing the worst.

Any help is appreciated

10wqwll.jpg

mrs9ia.jpg

My first thought would be to make sure they blow in the same direction. For example if the internal is on the short right side blowing left then the spraybar should be on the same side blowing left too if you can fit it next to the internal. That way the flow will go left all the way to other side along the surface, then hit the left glass, slide down to the bottom and then travel back along the bottom to the right side where it will be picked up by the intakes again if that's where the external intakes is, otherwise by the internal filter the least. That's providing there aren't many big obstructions along the way.

Sadly this isn't even possible. The current setup is the most reasonable in terms of directionality.

Hi Sascha ,

ive got a rio 400 and added a spraybar to the juwel powerhead outlet full length across the rear of the tank, also connected is a up inline diffuser to an Eheim 2222 with a spraybar and a 2750lph newa wave flow pump also on the rear driving the circulation towards the front, I can easily get a full 1 ph drop in 90 mins and also see plenty of co2 bubbles being driven down the front glass and back into the Tank.

Regards

How is it possible to attach a spray bar to the Juwel outlet?

What is the angle of your spray bar, the one that the Co2 comes out from?

12/16mm hose fits snugly into the juwel outlet if you just use the one angled outlet fiited to the power head. the spray bar from the juwel is across the rear top and just points forward, with the flow pump just below it in the centreof the tank. the spraybar from the eheim is just sat an the substrate at the rear centrally(because I have the flow turned down), the co2 bubble just lazily drift upwards from the spraybar on the substrate and are driven into the front glass by the flow pump, if any escape this the spraybar from the juwel catches them and drives them forwards.

Well that sounds ideal, but I don't think there's any way I can put a spray bar on the substrate.

the spraybar on the ehiem is only on the substrate because I have the eheim flow turned to min(and beacause I ran out of clips :) ), you could try the external APS co2 enriched spraybar just below one connected to the juwel, both at the top rear pointing forward towards the glass.

That is a very interesting idea Froggster, thank you for the tip. I may well try this out. If you're able to get any photos of your setup, it would help me to understand exactly how the spray bar attaches to the Juwel outlet.

ill try and get some to post.

Regards

Having said all that, if there is any way I can improve the circulation with the current tools I have, without adding any more equipment, I'd prefer to do that. It may just be a matter of tweaking the angles/ direction of the spray bar + internal outlet.

Does anyone have anything to add as an alternative to fitting an extra spray bar? As in, how I can position my current spray bar and jet outlet to provide the best flow?

I am needing to inject 4-5 bps, which is over double what it should be. I'm definitely losing a lot of gas somehow. I need to sort that out.

Back