• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need help with aquascape ROOM design (College edition!)

Hi all,Nooooo. Not the lovely hard-wood floor.

cheers Darrel
what u mean? rn its carpet from like 1970 lol

oh i think you were looking at the above image
yea i wish i was rich that'd be nice.

look at the images at the top of the page

DutchMuch

This is basically what you would require in such a small area.

Multiples of this design with one division with drawers to put all you bits and pieces in.

Solid divisions would be the easiest. You could drill holes to run any wiring or tubing through.

The filters and pumps need to be insulated its easier to do in the construction rather than an after thought.

Keith:wave::wave:

Waverley%2BWhite%2BGloss%2BSideboard%2BBuffet.jpg

Have you looked at what’s underneath the carpet?

Check out Mark Evans “tank on wheels” ;)
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/120-x-55-x-55-journal-finished.17974/page-37
that would certainly simply tank mobility issues BUT not exactly budget friendly

IKEA is always good for ideas - and great return on your $ if you can utilize their discount/discontinued/freight damaged materials ... though this usually means frequent trips to check what’s available

You might incorporate the existing tank stand into whatever build, adding a false front or refinishing existing doors

BUT fumes from paint, adhesives etc may annihilate livestock (run high quality activated carbon in all filters in addition to physical barriers)

Last edited:
Depending on the particular IKEA store, ex-demo or store display units range 25-50% off
If you see something that’s only been discounted 10-25% take it over and ask about additional markdown

My local IKEA usually has some discontinued items in the 75-90% markdown

Hunt for vintage/ antique solid cupboard/ chest of drawers/ cabinet that needs some tlc and strip and restore it. ebay or second hand shops and gumtree may be good places to look. You can pick up some really nice and unusual pieces.

The IKEA kitchen range is pretty sturdy and has various sized base cabinets to fit and styles to suit all budgets. It'd be easy to hack/reinforce as well. And they also have a range of work tops to suit, any that you can drill holes through for pipes etc would be ideal. My cabinet is from the Besta storage range https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products...units-systems/bestå-frame-white-art-10245846/ and reinforced internally using Besta shelving, cut to fit https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/windswept-eternity.37490/page-7#post-439793...

26125608271_d257a4145f_b-jpg.jpg

And the same externally to stop the unit parallelogramming, all stuck in with no nails adhesive. The tape was just to hold the shelves in place whist if dried...

26191911015_b7da7c5c95_b-jpg.jpg

Have you looked at what’s underneath the carpet?
yea its plywood underneath the carpet, think its 3/4 inch plywood. in my pics u can see the carpet is pulled up along the wall

I know it's been mentioned earlier in the thread, the following demonstrates building a stand out of scafolding parts.

here's what it looks like with tank and stand covered. Should add this isn't my tank!

If you are doing the flooring, you could always use the same laminate type stuff to cover the front surface. I've done this previously and it worked well. Just Ned to think about how to hide the ugly edges but in your case that would just mean ensuring the top overhangs a little bit at the front :)

Back