• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need help with Lush Max ferts

Bhavik

As anyone used Lush max ferts from eBay?
I need help with it as it doesn't seem to be working for me at all
Anyone else has this experience?

Hi there appreciate the reply!

Yeah that's why I ended up buying it but didnt seem to work even when I started putting in a crazy amount

I was thinking it might be that as I do have a clay/muddy substance let at the bottom of the bottle when it's left alone

I do have hard water but I don't know how hard as I do have a water softer connected to my hot water

Attachments

• IMG_9832.JPG
    IMG_9832.JPG
    511.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Suggest you test your water parameters first so you'll know how far off you are. I used to add quite a bit of baking soda to the rather acidic tap water and then started wondering why my plants were exhibiting iron deficiencies.

They're much better now that I've cut down on the soda during every water change.

Hi I'm still having problem dissolving the liquid I still have a clay ish mixture at the bottom of the bottle after left to settle

I have tried running the bottle under very hot water but didn't seem to work

What else can I do to make this dissolve?

I just wanted to ask is it easier to dissolve water in soft water compared to hard

The powder at the bottom looks exactly like iron phosphate. This is why a high quality chelator is needed so that iron and phosphate can both dissolve without binding to each other and precipitate out. I would discard the mix because it's now practically insoluble.

The possible causes of this precipitation are low quality chelator, or the water is too hard, or they don't include something to make the solution acidic enough when hard water is used, such as ascorbic acid.

Anyway in my experience, if the chelator is of low quality, even tons of ascorbic acid and distilled water won't help.

The powder at the bottom looks exactly like iron phosphate. This is why a high quality chelator is needed so that iron and phosphate can both dissolve without binding to each other and precipitate out. I would discard the mix because it's now practically insoluble.

The possible causes of this precipitation are low quality chelator, or the water is too hard, or they don't include something to make the solution acidic enough when hard water is used, such as ascorbic acid.

Anyway in my experience, if the chelator is of low quality, even tons of ascorbic acid and distilled water won't help.

As this is a all in one ferts so would the other chemicals still work and benefit the plants?

Also I was wondering if I was to get this again would it dissolve better with the hot water coming through the water softer? Obvs it dissolve rock salt to make the water soft

As this is a all in one ferts so would the other chemicals still work and benefit the plants?

Yes.

Also I was wondering if I was to get this again would it dissolve better with the hot water coming through the water softer? Obvs it dissolve rock salt to make the water soft

Temperature won't help prevent the precipitation, soft water might. But honestly, I would not put high hope on it.

[/QUOTE]Temperature won't help prevent the precipitation, soft water might. But honestly, I would not put high hope on it.[/QUOTE]

How about if I tried filtered water? Thing is it is weird as I spoke to the seller and he said that no one had any problems with this before. It's annoying as it is convient and a cheap fertiliser that I could use

Is there any way I get around this?

And if there is anyone else out that has been successful could you please help me out?
Thanks

Hi
FWIW I used this and am just finishing off the first batch and had very slight precipitation as you describe. The second batch which I just mixed has more precipitation and looks just like yours. It disappears when you shake it but settles out again. My tap water is very soft, near neutral, 45ppm TDS. I have nothing to compare it to, ferts wise but just ordered a pack from APF to compare it with.
Cheers

Hi
FWIW I used this and am just finishing off the first batch and had very slight precipitation as you describe. The second batch which I just mixed has more precipitation and looks just like yours. It disappears when you shake it but settles out again. My tap water is very soft, near neutral, 45ppm TDS. I have nothing to compare it to, ferts wise but just ordered a pack from APF to compare it with.
Cheers

If both the first batch (little precipitation) and the second batch (more precipitation) come from the same bag, it could be distribution issue. Since most of these trace mixes, CSM+B for example, are not homogenous. Different areas in the bag may contain different ratios of ingredients. And if there is not enough ascorbic acid in the area you scooped up, the solution may not be acidic enough for the chelator to function.

That being said, a bad chelator will still not function even with the aid of acid while a good chelator can do the job on its own if the water is reasonably soft. And yes, your water looks very soft.

By the way, you may try shaking the bag real good before making a batch and see if there is less precipitation.

Is there any way I get around this?

Try shaking the bag before making a batch.

Hi
Cheers

hi there thanks for that appreciate you replying. How would you say the Lush max is working for you and even with the precipitation would you say that it benefits your plants?
im sorry i dont understand you bought APF? whats that? and is that from ebay and is that any good?
If both the first batch (little precipitation) and the second batch (more precipitation) come from the same bag, it could be distribution issue. Since most of these trace mixes, CSM+B for example, are not homogenous. Different areas in the bag may contain different ratios of ingredients. And if there is not enough ascorbic acid in the area you scooped up, the solution may not be acidic enough for the chelator to function.

That being said, a bad chelator will still not function even with the aid of acid while a good chelator can do the job on its own if the water is reasonably soft. And yes, your water looks very soft.

By the way, you may try shaking the bag real good before making a batch and see if there is less precipitation.

Try shaking the bag before making a batch.

Thanks ill try then next if i order another batch that is

Hi

First batch and second batch were from different packs, they appeared to mix differently is all.
hi there thanks for that appreciate you replying. How would you say the Lush max is working for you and even with the precipitation would you say that it benefits your plants?
im sorry i dont understand you bought APF? whats that? and is that from ebay and is that any good?
I've only ever used Lushmax so have nothing to compare it to, difficult to say how well it works, which is why I ordered some complete aquatic ferts (Ebay) from APF see if I spot any difference. Tank is low-tech, Non CO2 but heavily planted and I'm exceeding the "low-tech" dose as indicated on the packet.
HTH
cheers

Last edited:
Hi

First batch and second batch were from different packs, they appeared to mix differently is all.

I've only ever used Lushmax so have nothing to compare it to, difficult to say how well it works, which is why I ordered some complete aquatic ferts (Ebay) from APF see if I spot any difference. Tank is low-tech, Non CO2 but heavily planted and I'm exceeding the "low-tech" dose as indicated on the packet.
HTH
cheers

Oh ok but would you say it's benefited the plant from when you didn't use the fert to now? E.g are you seeing and deficiency or anything? How much are you adding daily?
Also have you noticed your aquarium water turning slightly brownish when your add the lush max due to the percipitate?
And have you tried the lush Marco or mirco on its own?
Could you send me the link of the aquatic ferts you ordered?

Thanks

OK Tank is only 10 months old (200L NET) so I've used lushmax from the off but have increased the dose gradually up to 5ml per day except Sat and a 30% water change Sunday. I upped it because I thought I saw potassium deficiency in H.corymbosa. Didn't notice any water browning but my top-up water if loaded with tannins so I wouldn't see it anyway. Have not used macro or micro seperately. Don't think I can link directly on here?

Oh ok fair enough and so in total for the day much do you dose as mine is a 200L tank as well and just want to see if I'm dosing enough as I'm not really seeing a change with my plants
Oh I'm not sure if you just post the name of the listing i'll have a look

Thanks

Just to clear up that these packets should mixed all as one lot and not in parts. You will end up getting the wrong amounts of each ingredients because some are heavier than others.

There are 2 iron chelates in there. 75% is EDDHA and 25% is DTPA so there should be no problems due to the chelate.

You should however always try and use DI water because you can;t guarantee how much phosphate is in your tap water because water companies will often add phosphate to lock up iron that comes from old iron pipes in the network. There is also some run off from fields too.

I make up the whole litre in a 1 litre bottle using DI water and then split half out into a smaller dosing bottle once it has all dissolved and leave the other half in the bottle in a dark cupboard until needed.

It's not about the type of chelator. It's the quality of it. I had problem with 7% Fe-DTPA powder from a brand, it precipitated within minutes when mixed with KH2PO4. While Fe-EDTA, commonly regarded as inferior to DTPA, didn't have this problem. Lowering the pH, even by using distilled vinegar instead of water, just delayed the precipitation by hours.

After changing to 11% Fe-DTPA (Dissolvine D-Fe-11), all went well, no precipitation even after 4 weeks, should last longer but I used it up.

Last edited:
Back