• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need some advice on how to get rid of this algae

Ok thanks,

I am not planning on a complete re-scape just a re-scape where the log is. But since I doubt I will be able to find a similar looking piece of wood that would be better suited for a planted tank I will have to make some changes.

Thanks!
If I were you I would clean off as much algae as possible and stick plants onto the wood so its about 40-50% covered at least.Reason being that the plants would get the nutrients before the algae does hopefully.Your driftwood is still "new" and definitely leaching nutrients.

OK big update,

So i have found a couple of new pieces of driftwood I have gotten pacific wood. I have just changed out the wood today. I had the new piece of wood soaking for about 2 weeks. I also did not boil the new piece. So here is a list of everything that I am currently doing now.

-50% water changes once or twice a week.
-Dosing 6 ml of tropica specialized everyday
-I am also still using RO water with a TDS of 120 to 140
-I have moved the outflow lily pipe as close as I can to the surface to try and get more surface agitation. I found that if I raise it any higher then the flow starts to suffer
-Water temp is around 21 to 22 degrees Celsius
-the twinstar 600SA is set to 60% intensity for 6 hours
-I am still trying to figure out C02, for the most part the checker is a darker green when the lights come on it turns lighter green through the day.

Since I just changed the log today I will update again shortly to see if the algae returns. In the weeks leading up to me replacing the log I was still getting a bunch of blue green and hair algae.

Here are some updated pictures of the tank. The wood that's there right now is still floating a bit so that's why there are some rocks on top. Once the log sinks completely I will get rid of the rocks and maybe add some smaller pieces of the same type of wood.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions if there are anymore please let me know

Thanks again!

IMG_0413.jpg
IMG_0414.jpg
IMG_0415.jpg
IMG_0416.jpg

Here is a one week update since I put in the new log.

So far the algae doesn't seem to be as bad. There is still some blue green and a little hair algae but its not coming back as bad nor as fast.

So for the most part it better but there is still some algae coming back. If anybody has any other suggestions for what I am doing wrong that would be great!

For maintenance I am still doing what is in the post above. Here are some updated pictures.

IMG_0418.jpg
IMG_0419.jpg
IMG_0420.jpg

Here is a one week update since I put in the new log.

So far the algae doesn't seem to be as bad. There is still some blue green and a little hair algae but its not coming back as bad nor as fast.

So for the most part it better but there is still some algae coming back. If anybody has any other suggestions for what I am doing wrong that would be great!

For maintenance I am still doing what is in the post above. Here are some updated pictures.

Try and get your drop checker to light green by the time the lights go on. This can mean having CO2 switch on up to three hours before the lights come on. You might also want to experiment with having the diffuser on the same side as the lily pipe, to see if that gives you better distribution of the CO2, and allows less bubbles to make it to the surface.

Some of the leaves on your plants also look to be struggling a little with some holes and bad patches on them. I don't know if they are original old leaves from your original algae outbreak, or new ones since you added the new wood? Either way, you may want to look at your fert regime. Others more knowledgeable then me on this forum may be able to offer more specific nutrient advice, but I'd personally recommend moving to EI dry salt if you can. It'll be a damn sight cheaper than the Tropica ferts, and at least you'l be sure that nutrient limitation isn't an issue - plus you are already doing the required 50% water change.

Finally, I don't now what you plan to do with regards to critters, but even if you really don't want fish, if it were me I'd be sticking a couple of dozen Cherry shrimp and a couple of horned nerite snails in there at a minimum - they'll do an amazing vanishing trick with any algae you have re-appearing, and they're fascinating to watch in a planted tank!

Back