• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need some FE help

andy

Hi, i bought a 2KG CO2 fire extinguisher a few weeks ago. I haven't set it up yet as my present 500g unit was still working and chucking out bubbles.

However, it run out last night so time to get the FE cranked up along with my new solenoid.

I dismantled the 500g until and went to get the FE which has been happily sitting in the conservatory (heated) since mid Jan. The first thing that struck me was how light the FE was !!! I said to the mrs that it felt very light indeed....almost too light.

I set it all up, tested for leaks with soapy water and opened the handle. The Bar gauge went to just under 4 straight away. I opened the main valve and then the needle valve 9making sure the solenoid was open) and i started getting bubbles. I set this at about 2bps.

But the bar gauge has dropped down to just over 1 ....does this sound right as my 500g ran at just under 2 !!!!

Am i panicing over nothing !!! ???

Many thanks

Andy

It sounds like your FE has de-pressurised. Did it get very hot in there? In direct light it can be surprising how hot they could get even during this cold period and possibly it may have raised the pressure up so the safety release was triggered, but I thought if that happened you'd have no pressure left at all so I'm not sure that's happened, just a thought.

Ed Seeley said:
It sounds like your FE has de-pressurised. Did it get very hot in there? In direct light it can be surprising how hot they could get even during this cold period and possibly it may have raised the pressure up so the safety release was triggered, but I thought if that happened you'd have no pressure left at all so I'm not sure that's happened, just a thought.

No mate, the conservatory is quite stable. It's north facing so doesn't get any sun in winter and is about 10 c minimum at night.

Im going to see how it goes. My 500g lasted 7 weeks so the 2kg should last 3-4 times this.

Thanks anyway

Andy

Back