• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need some help

Mullen88

IMG_20210511_183602.jpg
Looking for some help on where to source the cheapest sand/gravel/soil. Have gotten myself into a situation.
I have a 60L scaped tank but wanted to re Scape it so bought a second hand 60L tank to house fish while I did it.
Ended up getting talked into taking the fish with it. I was told there were 5 or 6 kribensis but though if I put a couple in my tank they'd be ok.

The fish were transported in the tank with plants as I weren't planning on having them.

I rushed home and filled the tank to find 8 kribs ranging from about an inch to the biggest one who is about 3 1/2 inch. So I've now bought a 2nd hand 240 litre tank setup which I'm collecting tomorrow so I can properly home all these fish but as I'd not planned on such a big tank just yet I have nothing to Scape it with. And could really do without spending loads on substrate and hard Scape.

Was wondering if there's any way I can do it slightly on the cheap and still get good results. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Play pit sand is cheap. It's also quite nice as long as you like the colour, which is usually very pale. Quite similar to the sand in your pic in fact. :)
It's very fine-grained, and some people find it packs down. Malaysian Burrowing Snails will fix any problems in that area.
hth

I will never use it again since it’s so fine. Large grain pool filter sand made of crushed quartz is very attractive and I have it in my tank. However your scape is subject to change with kribs wrestling around in there. Beautiful and fun to watch fish, but still cichlids!

Play pit sand is cheap. It's also quite nice as long as you like the colour, which is usually very pale. Quite similar to the sand in your pic in fact. :)
It's very fine-grained, and some people find it packs down. Malaysian Burrowing Snails will fix any problems in that area.
hth
Sorry didn't get an alert to say someone had replied. I have Malaysian burrowing snails in that tank. So that's fine. Will look into that cheers👍

I will never use it again since it’s so fine. Large grain pool filter sand made of crushed quartz is very attractive and I have it in my tank. However your scape is subject to change with kribs wrestling around in there. Beautiful and fun to watch fish, but still cichlids!
Yes will look into that as well. They have completely changed the landscape of the tank since I got them home. Amazing fish to watch though.

I have another huge problem! Not even gathered all the materials together for the Scape on the 240 yet and the paired kribs started going nuts in the tank today.

They've only gone and laid eggs in the cave I made for them. Got my other tank (55 litre) with 12 green tetra and 3 otos in it. Would I be ok to move a couple of the smaller kribs into this tank do you reckon? There's a couple that aren't much bigger than my biggest green tetra

May have to do a temporary set up on the 240 just to give them all a bit of room. Just throw some sand, soil and plants in.
Just to leave the mated pair in the 60L

Any advice is hugely appreciated. I'm in a bit over my head here 😬

I wonder if you could scape it in thirds to budget for individual sections? Just a thought and it may be impractical and upset to the water chemistry too much, but I wonder if anyone has tried it?
That's not a bad idea. Was just thinking I could have a go at 3 different scapes in one tank. Make 3 islands with different rocks and different plants on each one. A lot of work if it looks awful when finished though 😂

That's not a bad idea. Was just thinking I could have a go at 3 different scapes in one tank. Make 3 islands with different rocks and different plants on each one. A lot of work if it looks awful when finished though 😂
I like the sound of that - like a journey through various environments, but I would like to wash my hands of any perceived influence if it goes Pete Tong! 😜

Back