• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need some ideas for my galaxies

•Cai•

Hi all,
I've recently added x10 Galaxy rasbora/danios to my 60ltr/13uk gallon tank. I've also got x4 ottos and 6 red cherry shrimps.
If I was to add a few extra tank mates for the danios can anyone reccommend sone compatible tank mates. I don't want them too big unless they are a pair rather than a larger group. I'd like something colourful if I can.
Cheers

Sorry, I should also add I have a high kh of 12. Ph is 7.4/7.3 before co2. ph is around 7.0/6.9 with co2 injected. Flow is high/medium.

few extra tank mates for the danios
well they would roundly vote for ....

MORE

Galaxy rasbora!

20 is a good number to see more interesting behaviors

And you can still add a Dario - there are a few species available though it can be a challenge to track down suitable females

Not colorful but seem to be good tankmates
C hastatus
C habrosus
C pygmaeus
(at any rate the Cm's spawn)

I'm with Troi on this one.. :) I never had those Galaxy danios (to expensieve around my place, for the weight of fish you get) but as danio's are the once i had they like to dwell the upper regions of the tank. Adding a fish that more resides in the mid region like those lambchops or barbs are e very nice addition. Almost ordered them myself, those completely black lambchops and the rosy loach as well. But did put them on a hold for now till the tank is a bit more matured and grown in. To get a better idea of the numbers i want. But they are definiely on the whishlist.. Cute fish.. :)

In theory there are many suitable shoaling companions (such as those mentioned) but Celestichthys margaritatus can be (relatively) slower, more cautious feeders so take note that they are getting sufficient food in the long term
My experience with Trigonostigma espei & Trigonostigma heteromorpha etc is that they can be quite dominating in behavior & feeding, quickly consuming most of the food & intimidating more retiring fishes ... if possible, request whether shop will accept returns/ offer credit etc in the event that any chosen companion fishes don't work as expected.

I keep mine with Rosy Loaches and can highly recommend them,the males are stunning when in breeding condition :)
I also have Microdevario Kubotai which work well as they stick to the upper levels of the tank.

Back