• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Neil's 60cm ADA inspired Nature Aquarium

oldwhitewood

Just replicating what I posted over on AE.

1367509989_e12ad63f78_o.jpg

I've removed the extra wood, it just didn't look right and I think the layout is better for it. What do you guys think?

1367510599_04d5858c59_o.jpg

1367511303_5c8d2e49c3_o.jpg

1367511873_2e9fba73ed_o.jpg

1367512439_278498dca1_o.jpg

That is superb, Neil. I prefer it to your previous incarnation, even though it's not a major deviation.

Great photography too.

What is the background plant, Cyperus helferi?

Is this you re-scape, or are you experimenting?

You are up there setting the UK NA standard, for sure.

Let's see what Nick (harlequin) can do!

oldwhitewood said:
I think you'll find Nicks is much better than mine.
8)

It is not a rescape really, I added some more wood but one of the guys on AE said he preferred it before and he was right, I was just trying to add onto something which really didn't need adding onto.

The plant in the background is v. nana which I got because you were talking about it :D

Ha, ha. Well, I've seen Nick's too... Your modesty never fails, Neil.

I like the V. nana. Might get some for myself. Is it Tropica? How tall was it in the pot?

Always a pleasure to see your tanks Neil. Great pics, and such a 'clean' looking finish. The moss looks fantastic in those close-ups.

George is right, you are far too modest! Let's not forget that, as far as i'm aware, you were out there producing this kind of NA layout before many of us got to grips with it in the UK. So all credit to you mate, and you have been a big inspiration to what I've been doing-my set-ups and ideas wouldn't be where they are without the chance to talk and test ideas with the likes of you and George. Anyway, enough of this back-slapping... ;) I'd better get some pics posted..

Cheers,
Nick

regarding the Vallis, when I tried it in my first planted tank way back (when I used RO), it never did well at all. No doubt it likes harder water (I suspect it would do alright here now since I'm using the tapwater).

Cyperus h. would be a good alternative, and the leaves would give a great effect growing up and floating on the surface. Sure, they grow very long, but it would be pretty easy to keep it in check. Heres a shot from the old Rio 125 just after it was set up in with it at the back (it gets much longer!)

nickml3.jpg
Image re-sized by George Farmer

Harlequin said:
Always a pleasure to see your tanks Neil. Great pics, and such a 'clean' looking finish. The moss looks fantastic in those close-ups.

George is right, you are far too modest! Let's not forget that, as far as i'm aware, you were out there producing this kind of NA layout before many of us got to grips with it in the UK. So all credit to you mate, and you have been a big inspiration to what I've been doing-my set-ups and ideas wouldn't be where they are without the chance to talk and test ideas with the likes of you and George. Anyway, enough of this back-slapping... ;) I'd better get some pics posted..

Cheers,
Nick

Thanks for the comments hombre, very kind of you. But yeah we are all slapping each others backs here, lets get down to business, er mainly you putting up a journal of your new tank :D

oldwhitewood said:
Harlequin said:

Cheers,
Nick

Thanks for the comments hombre, very kind of you. But yeah we are all slapping each others backs here, lets get down to business, er mainly you putting up a journal of your new tank :D

Yes, Nick. Get on with that journal!

Sorry chaps, I shall get after it this weekend. Going on my hols for 2 weeks in a weeks time, so got a few things to do it too before i go. Anyway, you've waited long enough, a couple more days won't hurt ;)

Tell you what Neil, when I wonder whether to go open topped, smaller and more expensive.......or bigger and cheaper with Juwel etc. it is tanks like this that make my mind up for me. It all looks so green and fresh, oozing good health.

You may think the Val is unruly, but you ought to try Eleocharis vivipara. Now that stuff IS unruly.

I`m sure you have mentioned on your AE journal, but what cabinet is that? Is it ADA?

Dave.

Thanks for the comment. I have never managed to grow Eleocharis vivipara but would love to try this out. I am planning to take this layout apart after it's year is up (day 322 so far) and would love to try a iwagumi using that plant. I tried it years ago but it never grew for me mind you I have learnt a lot since then.

The other option would be to go for a moss and crypt type setup like I am doing now but with a different wood combo, as the current arrangement doesn't work I feel. I want to try my hand at different setups and plant types, there is no point in just running my tank year on year in the same config, although that would present an interesting challenge in itself.

I made the cabinet myself using MDF, paint and a lot of hard work. I plan to do a better one using solid oak when I have the time.

Back