• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Neil's NEW 60cm Nature Aquarium v3

jay said:
Tank is crying out for a pair of dwarf cichlid's 8)
Think a trim of the tenellus is needed, should make them have a red colouring too once they grow back.
I really like that orange hint coming through the background, ludwigia?

Correct, it has not captured the red-ness properly but it looks much better than that.

George Farmer said:
oldwhitewood said:
George Farmer said:
Love the neons in there. It's always great to see classic fish in this way - it really brings out their best.

They are a classic fish IMO and often overlooked for favour of the flashier cardinal tetra. I always go for the underdog and I like the subtle appearance of neons. I do plan to add more tetras though to give it a bit of colour and also I fancy having some blue rams in there too.

Indeed mate. I've always liked the even more subtle P. simulans (green or false neons). I still love my black neons too.

Keep up the good work, Neil.

I am starting to get frustrated with this layout already. Buying the ADA old iron wood hasn't helped matters and I can't help feeling a sand foreground is the way to go, much easier to maintain! The trimming I am finding difficult because the growth of the stems is so agressive. I'm also considering a bigger tank. I mean I've got room in my flat for a 90cm tank to replace the 60 but in doing that I'd have to scale up on everything, all my glassware, filter, lights, diffuser etc. The cost of getting a 90x45x45 together would be pretty huge, and a lot more maintainance I guess. Look at me here complaining about maintanence on a 60cm tank and thinking I should upgrade to a 90, I need help! *shakes head*

Hi Neil.
Great tank, very healthy plants!

Sure if you change for a bigger tank you will need change all the equipment, but you will have more space to scape, and about maintanence, that depends almost of the plants you use, not the size of the tank.

Regards,

Luís Moniz

Rather perversely I've read many times that maintenance is actually less in a 90cm than in a 60cm or a nano because growth rates are about the same but the tank is larger so maintenance is reduced. Water changes might be a fuss but then all you need is a water changer like londondragons.
I vote 90cm, with loads of slow growers, it's easier to keep the image the same when it changes so slowly.

You know what, sod it go for a 300cm. :twisted:

I'm with saintly, go bigger.

oldwhitewood said:
Buying the ADA old iron wood hasn't helped matters and I can't help feeling a sand foreground is the way to go, much easier to maintain! The trimming I am finding difficult because the growth of the stems is so agressive. I'm also considering a bigger tank. I mean I've got room in my flat for a 90cm tank to replace the 60 but in doing that I'd have to scale up on everything, all my glassware, filter, lights, diffuser etc. The cost of getting a 90x45x45 together would be pretty huge, and a lot more maintainance I guess. Look at me here complaining about maintanence on a 60cm tank and thinking I should upgrade to a 90, I need help! *shakes head*
If it makes you feel better I've got a 90cm and its been such a headache, initially at least and partly due to the increased scale swallowing time and budget, that if we lived close I'd almost swap setups with you :D. Sand foreground is the biz but mine is constantly getting algae meaning I need to keep vaccing it to turn it over, which reminds me - must post how to stop that.

I like how this is looking, you've got your moss looking exactly like Amano, I like that. I think if you keep trimming and let the foreground fill out this will look really really good.

Maintenance doesn't have to be a problem in a large tank, It's all about planting choice. Also, obviously if you are giving them conditions to grow like weeds (EI, excessive light, Co2, nutrients etc..) but in my tank, I have one side all bolbits and fern, I hardly ever touch it, yet on the other, diandra and hemmianthus micranthemoides and I'm always chopping away at it. Same tank, same growing conditions, different levels of maintenance.

luismoniz said:
Hi Neil.

Sure if you change for a bigger tank you will need change all the equipment, but you will have more space to scape, and about maintanence, that depends almost of the plants you use, not the size of the tank.

Regards,

Luís Moniz

Luis you need to post your tank on here if you haven't already!

oldwhitewood said:
luismoniz said:
Hi Neil.

Regards,

Luís Moniz

Havent you seen it yet :D bit of a stunner! http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3583

EDIT: unless im being a thicko and you meant luiz to post his picture in this thread :oops:

stuworrall said:
oldwhitewood said:
luismoniz said:
Hi Neil.

Regards,

Luís Moniz

Havent you seen it yet :D bit of a stunner! http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3583

EDIT: unless im being a thicko and you meant luiz to post his picture in this thread :oops:

No it was me being thick I didn't realise he had done already!

Update - Day 85

Here are some updated pictures. I've been working away a lot recently so I haven't had to chance to maintain my tank as much as I would have liked to. I gave it a trim on Friday after my visit to TGM for the ADA Demo Day.

3108076217_ffb2a677d1.jpg

3108909534_da2443be1d.jpg

3108910138_cc72fd0d26.jpg

There isn't really much I can do to improve things really at this stage it is a case of carrying on trying to maintain the tank. I would like to add some emperor tetras later on, I saw they had some at TGM but they seemed a little too big. At the moment when I remember I dose Green Brightly Step 1, when I finish that I intend to use Step 2 along with Brightly K. Last time I started dosing with Brightly K right away, but with this layout I'm going to use it when using Step 2.

Issues that still need to be resolved are I think the glosso is a bit leggy, I think this is because the light suspended from the ceiling is set just a little bit too far back, I didn't measure it correctly when I put it up and forgot to allow for the space behind the tank. This would give the glosso a bit more light and give me more compact growth so I might have to do that, I've trimmed it back regardless so I will see how it grows. The other thing is the driftwood moves a little especially the ones on the right hand side, so I'm going to try to secure that with elastic bands.

I added some green neons and ottocinclus on Friday too, again from TGM. I noticed this morning an otto had swum into the diffuser and got stuck head first. I haven't kept ottos for a long time and forgot about this. This is why I think ADA brought them out with the ceramic plate higher up the glass to stop this thing happening. I am going to have to watch out for that it can't be very nice for the fish!

Back