• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Neil's NEW 60cm Nature Aquarium v3

Bit of an update, I haven't been posting or looking at aquariums in while really but I had a rather nasty mishap with my tank. About a month ago I noticed suddenly the level had dropped a couple of cms and I had rather a lot of dead shrimp in the tank which had turned pink. Straight away I thought it was either a CO2 overdose or the filter had crashed, but feeling the side of the tank I realised it was far too hot, much hotter than normal. I use one of those hydor external heaters so I checked that, the dial must have been moved when I was maintaining the tank and cleaning it a few days before, as it was on about 35C or something, the fish and shrimp were in fact being slow cooked. I manage to cool it down quickly with a big water change but the impact was I lost most of my shrimp and fish too. The plants in the tank had also been suffering and I had a bit of an algae outbreak. I removed the worst affected leaves and dead livestock but for a while I felt really gutted about the whole thing, still do infact. It's my fault I should have kept a thermometer on the tank but with it being NA style I never really bother and only really check the temp during water changes. Lesson learnt I guess but what a stupid error to make. *shakes head*

Anyway I've replanted the foreground with Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, if any of you guys have got an experience with it or tips I would love to hear them, I've never managed to grow it before. I've also removed some of the wood and added some rotala sp green to bulk up the background, we will see how it goes I guess.

Hope you guys are doing OK anyway.

Oh man, my deepest sympathies I know how it goes. My tank got much hotter than yours and I'm still reeling from the damage done. Chin up mate, you'll come back stronger than I ever will.

Thanks for the responses dudes. I am going to search Garufs posts to see what happened now. I noticed last night there were about 5 shrimp left so I'm not doing too badly, I lost a lot of the bigger shrimp though which is saddening because I like to keep them first of all and secondly they do such a good job.

Hydor really need to do something with the design it's far too easy to move that dial by mistake it seems.

Really sorry to hear about this! :? I did something similar with my heat, but it only affected my plants. The Fish must have thought they'd gone on a lovely sun holiday. Still rallying before my purchase my next batch of plants...

Garuf said:
Hows the tank, Neil? Fully recovered?

Hi, yeah kinda, it's been winding down for ages and ages now. I'm starting to work on a new layout and I want to get things back to normal again, I haven't been doing much in the way of aquascaping or anything for ages.

Still keeping my aquajournal subscription going at the moment, that's about it. But I really HAVE to get my tank sorted and get it back to looking good again. I feel a complete re-design coming on.

Glad to hear it!
I know how it is, I've not done a scape to maturity since I had my heater boil, I've got a new tank and with any luck I'll be on a massive winner.
On a unrelated note....
Neil, is your sirname sulivan? Are you the same one who does the photographs for the RHS mag?

Garuf said:
Glad to hear it!
I know how it is, I've not done a scape to maturity since I had my heater boil, I've got a new tank and with any luck I'll be on a massive winner.
On a unrelated note....
Neil, is your sirname sulivan? Are you the same one who does the photographs for the RHS mag?

Sounds good mate.

Second point nah that's not me.

Back