• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Neil's NEW 60cm Nature Aquarium v3

I'm at a bit of an crossroads at the moment. Firstly while I like the appearance of the tenellus I think it is just going to get too unruly as the main foreground plant so I'm going to remove a lot of it and replace it with glosso.

Secondly I have received my ADA old iron wood now and it looks awesome, I'm seriously thinking about replacing the wood with the old iron, but I'm not sure. It seems a shame to break this tank down so early in it's life. The problem is once livestock are in the tank it will become a whole lot more difficult to do that. So I need to make the decision either to change it now or wait 6 months and do another scape.

What do you guys think?

Id love to see how the current scape matured to be honest.

But thats just me, I really like the current scape alot, its very natural look is really appealing to me.

But its all up to you mate.

What you have to do :p

Richie

I think you should keep the tennelus because it goes well with the scape and i hate glosso, but it's up to you.

RE the wood: I don't think you shouldl change it. The wood you have now is awesome and you can always use it in six months or so in another scape, it would be such a shame to change this scape when it hasn't even started yet.

Why don't you post a pic of the iron wood and the sort of positioning etc you want (but out of the tank obviously) and then we could give you some advice?

R1ch13 said:
Id love to see how the current scape matured to be honest.

But thats just me, I really like the current scape alot, its very natural look is really appealing to me.

But its all up to you mate.

What you have to do :p

Richie

Thanks Richie much appreciated. I'm going to use glosso and thin out the tenellus a little, I believe you can mix foreground plants and it doesn't have to be really regimented, so this is what I'm going to try out.

Thomas McMillan said:
I think you should keep the tennelus because it goes well with the scape and i hate glosso, but it's up to you.

RE the wood: I don't think you shouldl change it. The wood you have now is awesome and you can always use it in six months or so in another scape, it would be such a shame to change this scape when it hasn't even started yet.

Why don't you post a pic of the iron wood and the sort of positioning etc you want (but out of the tank obviously) and then we could give you some advice?

You have kind put me off using glosso now :lol: but no I must be strong and go with my instinct, I think it is going to work the way I have planned.

I know what you're saying it is a shame to change things when it hasn't even got going, maybe I should set a time limit on it and say I will grow it out for 6 months then change it for my new layout.

George Farmer said:
I say go with what you have planned, Neil... ;)

I agree. Just make sure you keep the scale of a mixed foreground in mind, but I trust you will :)

IME with the henge. after several trims of e tennelus, a trim seemed to make the e tennelus grow in a smaller red fashion. all though as its your foreground it would probably become major high maintenance.its a shame you cant get the smaller version thats apparently out there in the world somewhere.

great nature aquarium either way.

I like the idea of mixed foreground....

Id love to be able to find a pic of this wood everyone is going on about haha...

Then i might change my mind about everything haha

Richie

Cheers for the link Thomas...

I found the pic of the wood just after i posted my last reply.

Then UKAPS wouldnt load for me until now :)

The wood is really nice :p I want some.

Neil, now that ive looked through your flicker galleries of your aquariums, ive totally changed my opinion about open foreground scapes..... STUNNNING!

Love your work...

Richie

R1ch13 said:
You had anymore thoughts on re-doing the scape?

Richie

Yep, thanks for the comments too. Basically I am going to remove a lot of the tenellus which is a bloody shame as it's grown so well in such a short space of time, I should have listened to other people on this one while I don't agree with it looking totally wrong it certainly is a little too dominant for such a small tank. So my plan is to use glosso and have the tenellus around the bogwood and in certain areas softening it.

oldwhitewood said:
So my plan is to use glosso and have the tenellus around the bogwood and in certain areas softening it.

good plan, it is a shame. i love e tennelus allot aswell.it will feature in my next scape (120cm)

saintly said:
oldwhitewood said:
So my plan is to use glosso and have the tenellus around the bogwood and in certain areas softening it.

good plan, it is a shame. i love e tennelus allot aswell.it will feature in my next scape (120cm)

With the size of your tank it will work really well. For smaller tanks and for the size it reaches I think it's not right.

Back