• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Neil's NEW 60cm Nature Aquarium v3

Day 25 - Update

2922157951_4bd99791db.jpg

Here you can see the difference in growth since 7th October.

2945811564_2423328e3b.jpg

There isn't that drastic a change happening I guess the most interesting thing to report is that the stems need their first trim, in fact everything pretty much does. This next stage is going to be very difficult, I will have to drain the tank and remove the tenellus, then replant the glossostigma I have received. I have also got some new pots of rotala sp. "green" which I intend to use in the left corner too. So this trimming stage is where I will try to shape the rotala so it grows in the low to high formation you always see, I've never quite managed to get it to work before but I shall give it a try. Still no livestock in there yet I was hoping to add some of my shrimp this weekend, depending on how things go. I think nearly a month is a good time to mature the tank ready for it's first inhabitants.

Looks cracking mate 8) I really like the wood on the right side, it's matured nicely in such a short time :D

It looks real nice! I think it's such a shame that your taking the tennelus out, because even though it is quite overgrown it just works for me but oh well. I'm sure it'll be great.

Still think you should keep in the current wood aswell. :D

Yeah I used a different white balance setting on the second one, which I didn't realise at first but in retrospect it's a better colour rendition so I guess I will be using that from now on. I think it's auto +3 on my Nikon, the autowb seems to cope with the different light sources the best which I wouldn't have thought normal, I ususally use different modes when I'm outside and never use auto.

There are larger pics on my flickr site.

LondonDragon said:
Tank is looking great Neil, with a glosso forground it will look the business, just be prepared for a lot of work lol

We shall see, I've had it before ages ago but I can't remember how it grew. Any tips on trimming it? I've planted up most of the pots of glosso I got the other day. It went quite well although I did have some issues using the aquasoil which I will update when I post some new pictures.

I cant stress how much i love this tank.

Its truely amazing looking, and its so young as well :p

Man, I wish i could steal it.

Very very insperational.

Richie

Update - Day 50

Well I have added the glosso as you can see and also the fish and shrimp are back in the tank now. I have upped the collection of neons with a few more ones to fill out the shoal. I plan to add some emperor tetras too if I can find them.

3016591835_50a264197c.jpg

Side shot

3016591861_258b9f8fc1.jpg

other side shot

3016591857_8e97ddbe4f.jpg

The problems I am having are not with algae but with maintenance, the growth of the rotala and ludwigia in particular is very voracious and I find really it needs to be trimmed back heavily every two weeks. The tenellus also is growing really tall, I am starting to think I shouldn't have added the glosso and should have instead just let the tenellus go wild, I will see how it goes and maybe try trimming it to see how it grows back again. When I used it years ago it never grew this tall, but I'm not convinced it will take well to being trimmed like grass.

tank looks great my friend. e tennelus loves being trimmed. i thought the same. it keeps it shorter...trust me.just realised what i said....of course its shorter, i mean it grows back in shorter. you get the smell of zest when you trim it too.

saintly said:
tank looks great my friend. e tennelus loves being trimmed. i thought the same. it keeps it shorter...trust me.just realised what i said....of course its shorter, i mean it grows back in shorter. you get the smell of zest when you trim it too.

I will try that certainly, thanks for the comment.
George Farmer said:
Love the neons in there. It's always great to see classic fish in this way - it really brings out their best.

They are a classic fish IMO and often overlooked for favour of the flashier cardinal tetra. I always go for the underdog and I like the subtle appearance of neons. I do plan to add more tetras though to give it a bit of colour and also I fancy having some blue rams in there too.

Tank is crying out for a pair of dwarf cichlid's 8)
Think a trim of the tenellus is needed, should make them have a red colouring too once they grow back.
I really like that orange hint coming through the background, ludwigia?

oldwhitewood said:
George Farmer said:
Love the neons in there. It's always great to see classic fish in this way - it really brings out their best.

They are a classic fish IMO and often overlooked for favour of the flashier cardinal tetra. I always go for the underdog and I like the subtle appearance of neons. I do plan to add more tetras though to give it a bit of colour and also I fancy having some blue rams in there too.

Indeed mate. I've always liked the even more subtle P. simulans (green or false neons). I still love my black neons too.

Keep up the good work, Neil.

Back