• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NeilW's 30cm Iwagumi - 'Mono'

Re: NeilW's 30cm nano - 'Mono'

Thanks both Matt and Sam for such great feedback :D

Jur4ik said:
filled in nicely :thumbup:

Thank you, I'm pretty chuffed with the growth especially of the moss. The dry start was definitely worth it, although it did seem rather bizarre filling an already grown out 'finished' scape :crazy:

NeilW said:
Finally here is a full photo update of the tank filled.

frontxi.jpg

fulllo.jpg

img2123q.jpg

and also a full tank spec;

Hardware

12"x10"x8" opti-white nano
scratch-built MDF ADA style cabinet
Eheim 2232 Ecco 130 (500lph)
ADA glassware - Do!Aqua Violet Glass Mini outflow, ADA NA Mini V-1 inflow
Superfish 11Watt CF
Hydor ETH200 external heater
ADA NA Thermometer J-06 (white)

Flora
Anubias nana 'petite'
Cryptocoryne parva
Cryptocoryne × willisii,
Eleocharis parvula - dwarf hairgrass
Riccardia chamedryfolia - coral pellia
Taxiphyllum sp. - 'mini' spiky moss

Fauna
Stiphodon Goby
Otocinclus
Crystal Red Shrimp
Porcupine Nerite Snail

Substrate
Columbo Flora-Base, Forest Sand Xingu, TGM graded gravels

Hardscape
Ohko Stone, crushed Ohko Stone 'gravel'

Once again I would like to offer a profound thank you to the chaps at PlantedBox.com for the rock that really makes the scape.

As you can see I'm already having some issues but I hope it sorts itself out!
http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12443

Cheers for looking!
Neil

Well done Neil, you have done a great job there. A real gem of a nano. The cheep T5 doesnt look out of place amongst the ADA and opti white gear.
Attention to detail has been your success here and its more so a skill when working on nano's.

Great stuff.

P.S Have we met before?

NeilW said:
Thank you, I'm pretty chuffed with the growth especially of the moss. The dry start was definitely worth it, although it did seem rather bizarre filling an already grown out 'finished' scape :crazy:

Some green between the main and the middle rocks might improve the look, maybe you just should let it go and watch how it will become wild ;)

Graeme Edwards said:
Well done Neil, you have done a great job there. A real gem of a nano. The cheep T5 doesnt look out of place amongst the ADA and opti white gear.
Attention to detail has been your success here and its more so a skill when working on nano's.

Great stuff.

P.S Have we met before?

Thank you very much indeed!

Thats great to hear that the lighting doesn't look out of place. My issue was finding something that would tick all the boxes - I wanted something both minimal and lower powered which didn't me leave many options. The ADA Solar Mini would be my ideal aesthetically BUT the massive power was a big no no with no CO2 injection. Fortunately the Superfish light came in a silver/grey finish, is relatively un-intrusive, and comes is a variety of wattage.

My aim was to get the ADA 'look' and finish but on a budget. I think just spending a little extra time and effort on the finish has really paid off. I would love to apply the same ideas to a bigger tank but space is a premium for me at the moment.

I'm afraid we havn't met, my whole experience of planted tanks is through the interwebs :oops: I would love to meet the UKAPS greats one day though!

Jur4ik said:
Some green between the main and the middle rocks might improve the look, maybe you just should let it go and watch how it will become wild ;)

I may just try moving the pellia stones for some green between the stones, cheers :thumbup:

Thought I would get a few more pictures in.

This is the view from my bed
img2153nj.jpg

This is my Stiphodon Goby and what a lovely fish he is. I really like the unusual snake skin pattern and red fins, almost looks like a chinese dragon. He's already made himself at home and dug himself 2 burrows on either side of the big rock.
img2147zy.jpg

img2157r.jpg

one of his perches on the crook of the inlet
img2163p.jpg

Next on my list is to look at some emergent planting on the rock.

Cheers for looking,
Neil

Amazing tank.

I'm looking to mimic your set up, but would only have the space for it in my bedroom.
Is it relativity quiet?

Keep the updates coming.

Sean

ianho said:
love the Goby!

the tank looks great as well!

Thank you :) He's my favourite fish at the moment. Really interesting to watch.

whatarogue said:
Amazing tank.

I'm looking to mimic your set up, but would only have the space for it in my bedroom.
Is it relativity quiet?

Keep the updates coming.

Sean
Honoured by your first post, thank you :D

Mines in the bedroom too. Its that quiet normally that occasionally I panic that I havn't turned the filter back on :lol: I have to check that the plants are swaying to see. I have to open the cabinet doors to notice any sound in the day. In the dead of night with no other sound, and if you concentrate on it you can hear a slight hum of the motor and whir of the impeller but not enough to keep you up.

If you do go in for a similar setup it may be worth taking a look at the Eheim Classic 2211 (which is only available from Germany http://www.aquaristic.net/shop.php/sid/ ... param/2211 ) as its cheaper, has more suitable flow, and has the same, if not better, build quality. Although the extra media volume on the Ecco 130 is good, the 'self priming' rarely works on mine so not really worth the extra money. If you go for the Classic though you'll need to buy the extra taps for it to make it usable and you may even have to buy the media (but this means you can chose what you want).

Hope this is helpful,
Neil

The 2211's are supposedly made in china, I'd recommend the 2213 over the 2211.

Ahh that's great news.

I see you studied Design.
I'm in my final year of an Art & Design course,
I'd love to incorporate a nano tank in my degree show. I don't know how i'd justify it, maybe I could grow/design a typeface using H.C. :lol:

Garuf said:

Thanks Garuf, the 2213 seems perfect.

Haha that sounds like my course all over - one of my mates made a typeface out of Spam and someone else made one from dog poo :lol: Check out 'moss graffiti', that'll be up your street if you grow type from HC. I had to make a supplement for a newspaper for one of my projects and I did mine on the Nature Aquarium thing so there you go!

whatarogue said:
Garuf said:

Thanks Garuf, the 2213 seems perfect.

Garuf have you had experience of it being rubbish?

I think Garuf is a bit unfair dismissing the 2211 if it is just a case of it being made in China. The manufacturing heart of the world is in China, if the quality control is there then I'm sure it isn't an issue. Look at Apple products for example. I'm sure Eheim would have good quality control with their reputation. My Ecco 130 is meant to be made in China and its solid. My Macbook is made in China and it is also solid.

Personally no, but when ever you read of a classic filter dying it's always the 2211's, the quality control seems lax compared to on the other classics which are all german made. Most people stateside will inform people to air on the side of caution with the chinese ehiems as quality control seems to be an issue.

Also, from a economics point of veiw the cheapest I can find a 2211 is for just £5 less than the 2213, I'd rather have the larger filter and be able to use inline heaters and readily available glassware, plus the 400lph quoted flow is much more suite to tanks around this size and the larger media capacity is a blessing.

Garuf said:
Also, from a economics point of veiw the cheapest I can find a 2211 is for just £5 less than the 2213, I'd rather have the larger filter and be able to use inline heaters and readily available glassware, plus the 400lph quoted flow is much more suite to tanks around this size and the larger media capacity is a blessing.

I didn't realise the 2213 was only an extra fiver. In which case I agree then that the 2213 is probably the better filter. You can always turn the flow down if you get the taps too. I see a lot of people with the ADA Mini-M (which is a similar size) use the 2213.

OMG this is simply breathtaking and the goby is the perfect choice. he suits the scape perfectly as a little chinese dragon.

Just discovered this thread and I love it - choc full of ideas and new stuff. Well done Neil - its a beautiful tank, as Graham says, the attention to detail is flabbergasting!

Also good job on the stand - having made my own a couple of years ago I know its not as easy as you'd think. Good idea getting it professionally sprayed - doing that part with Aerosol nearly drove me insane (1 side at a time, wait 12 hours to dry, sand, apply second coat...).

What do you use to fix the egg crate to the rocks?

Gill said:
OMG this is simply breathtaking and the goby is the perfect choice. he suits the scape perfectly as a little chinese dragon.

Thank for your kind words Gill :thumbup:

I love the Goby, I think he's made himself at home now with his various burrows and perches. He even feeds off the moss and they're meant to normally feed off rocks so thats great to see. It's a shame I don't have a bigger setup or I would have got him a mate.

Ray said:
Just discovered this thread and I love it - choc full of ideas and new stuff. Well done Neil - its a beautiful tank, as Graham says, the attention to detail is flabbergasting!

Also good job on the stand - having made my own a couple of years ago I know its not as easy as you'd think. Good idea getting it professionally sprayed - doing that part with Aerosol nearly drove me insane (1 side at a time, wait 12 hours to dry, sand, apply second coat...).

What do you use to fix the egg crate to the rocks?

Thank you very much Ray!

I tried to get all the detail in as its my only tank, and being a nano that doesn't give you much space to create interest. I think being my main tank instead of a bit of fun on the side made me think differently.

I've been closely following your new journal as it looks like its going to be a stunner! Looks more original in its stone shape and placement then a typical Amano-gumi, to me it seems more like an ancient stone circle like the one at Avebury. I also loved your old tank, those crypts must have taken so much patience.

As for spraying the stand I thought I would take advantage of the skills of people around me while the opportunity was there :lol: I compromised with him too by putting all the effort into priming and sanding to save him a job. Think I paid just £25 for the paint :thumbup:

The rock was fixed to the eggcrate with a few big blobs of Milliput like some reef keepers use. It comes in different colours so the terracotta stuff is preferable incase you can ever see any of the joins (although its buried in mine)

Another update for you. The BGA (which Garuf helpfully ID'ed) has mostly gone in its black form but I keep getting the odd translucent bit here and there. I may just go in for a black out to get rid of it once and for all, although I'm not sure as to how badly that will affect the plants?

I've also started to get a tiny bit of surface scum which I know is a sign theres an imbalance somewhere so I'll keep an eye on it and see if it clears up after the tanks stabilised, if not I'll buy the 9watt version of the light I have instead.

Yet more photos to bombard you with -

Heres one for you cupboard lovers :lol: (yes I know thats a test kit in there but I only use the KH/GH, PH, and nitrate honest! And yes its a sad admission that I have a tidy cupboard BUT space is a premium in the room :oops: )
img2178g.jpg

Interestingly only one or two leaves of the Crypt Nevillii have changed so far into their submerged form with a brown tiger stripe;
img2164s.jpg

The Coral Pellia is looking alright which is good, although is painfully slow growing!
img2175r.jpg

Cheers for looking :thumbup:
Neil

Got to love that Goby ;) where did you get it. What is it compatible with and any no nos?

I would've veneered the cabinet myself but then I am addicted to wood finishes :lol: Top quality workmanship matey and it suits the tank, scape and surroundings perfectly.

With the Crypt I wouldn't expect the whole plant to get the 'striping' too quickly. Most of the Crypts are like this. Crypt Wendtii brown for example will be a green for it's 'infancy' but a couple of months after you are looking at a reflective purple/maroon/brown/green plant. All my other Crypts did the same, slowly transformed into the waxy leaved babies they are now. lol

Keep it up, superb little setup there.

AC

SuperColey1 said:
Got to love that Goby ;) where did you get it. What is it compatible with and any no nos?

I would've veneered it myself but then I am addicted to wood finishes :lol: Top quality workmanship matey and it suits the tank, scape and surroundings perfectly.

With the Crypt I wouldn't expect the whole plant to get the 'striping' too quickly. Most of the Crypts are like this. Crypt Wendtii brown for example will be a green for it's 'infancy' but a couple of months after you are looking at a reflective purple/maroon/brown/green plant. All my other Crypts did the same, slowly transformed into the waxy leaved babies they are now. lol

Keep it up, superb little setup there.

AC

Thanks mate :thumbup:

I picked up the Goby at my local Maidenhead branch in Dummer. I was after one for ages after I saw the pictures of them in Andy's kitchen tank and reading a PFK article on them not so far back. Also I'm a big fan of David Attenborough's 'Life' series and they look very much like some of the gobies featured in that. I did some research before out of curiosity so it worked out well that they had some just by luck in the shop. When I spotted them originally I picked out one of the neon blue coloured ones but the bloke accidentally netted a red one instead, which wasn't really a problem as hes still a nice looking fish.

As far as care goes they like lots of rock for grazing, fast flowing water and also a substrate where they can dig a burrow (preferably sand). I'm pushing it with tank size a little (the minimum PFK recommend was a 12" x 12" footprint whilst mine is 12" x 10") but they normally only have a few spots in the tank where they hang around and don't run far from their burrow. My tank also had a low bioload, an oversized external and a high plant mass too so I think it'll be OK. They're purely vegetarian so won't hassle baby shrimp. I've seen him have a peck at algae wafers but I'm also trying to grow him some algae on pebbles to put (crazy I know!) As far as tank mates go I'm not too sure as I only keep him with an Otto some shrimp and a couple of snails. Heres a link for you with some more info;
http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8128

I agree the stand would have looked good in oak veneer wouldn't it :D

The Crypts in this tank are the first I've ever tried, but they're fascinating plants.

Thanks again,
Neil

Back