• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Neo_ad's 350Ltr Journal (Prometheus)

Hi everyone

No I am not dead! hehe

Tank is fully up and running and 80% of the plants are going amazingly well. (Pictures to follow soon)

I have a few questions below hopefully some of you can answer for me as they are driving me somewhat insane :p

1, Oily substance on the surface, doesn't break easy (more like scum)
This has been the bane of my life trying to work out how to keep shut.

Major surface agitation - NO effect (keeps clear around the agitation but thats it)
On my last 50% water change I spent some time getting rid, all was good 2 days later back in full force!
Tried paper towels it sort of works but I would need like 4 rolls per week.....

The weird thing is this does not effect any of my other tanks, is it possible that its my substrate? Eco complete

2, Related to the above,
The oily/scum is somehow getting into my drop checker not sure if this would effect its reading but I am having to poke my finger in daily to take the skin away.

3, co2 distribution
I seem to be having some issues (maybe) with this, if I set up my drop checker near the outlet of my filter spraybar using the in-line reactor or about half way along the tank I can make it turn yellow (nothing is in the tank atm) if I put it at the other end no matter how I position the flow I just don't seem to be able to make it yellow (I know I don't want it yellow but I was just trying to work out if the c02 is making it over to the other end)

I even sat 2xpumps + the spray bar aiming down to the opposite end of the tank and as far as I can tell it has no effect. I guess getting a 2nd reactor would fix this but one I have is rated for about x4 my tank.

4, Plants, Algae
Most of my plants are doing great, got some major dead leafs which I cut back and 80% of them have grown back and look top notch now. Algae only seems to be on my rocks, none on the tank sides/plants etc but I have been messing with the flow so much I might of caused that (so not overly worried about that at the moment.

I have seen a few plants giving off streams of o2 (at least I think its that) and the algae on the rocks is pearling!!!! is that a good or bad sign?

Thanks for reading and any help will be much appreciated.

ive got the same problem as you with the scum/oily surface and im using eco-complete too.
i remember reading else where on the forum about possible causes/solutions and the next one im going to try is upping the ferts.im doing this after reading a a reply from ceg saying its the plants giving off something to show there un-happy,ive tried my drop checker in various places for 24hrs at a time and it always shows the same green and the plants all sway in the flow to im taking it ive got that right,so the next thing to try is upping the ferts im using tpn+ at the moment and am dosing 10mil per day in my 240l tank and doing a 50% water change each week,i cant afford to dose more tpn+ so am going to try ei with salts when i can get my head around what i need and how much to use,i'll let you know how i get on.

cheers dave

soton_dave said:
ive got the same problem as you with the scum/oily surface and im using eco-complete too.
i remember reading else where on the forum about possible causes/solutions and the next one im going to try is upping the ferts.im doing this after reading a a reply from ceg saying its the plants giving off something to show there un-happy,ive tried my drop checker in various places for 24hrs at a time and it always shows the same green and the plants all sway in the flow to im taking it ive got that right,so the next thing to try is upping the ferts im using tpn+ at the moment and am dosing 10mil per day in my 240l tank and doing a 50% water change each week,i cant afford to dose more tpn+ so am going to try ei with salts when i can get my head around what i need and how much to use,i'll let you know how i get on.

cheers dave

Cheers for that.

At least I know it not just me suffering from this! I did my weekly water change last night and have re arranged my flow again and dosed my ferts. Did a bit of plant maintenance and some general tidying up so I will see what happens to the scum/oil and wait to see how you get on too.

This has got to be the most depressing thing I have ever seen, its been nearly 6 months since I have posted on my first planted tank journal!

So just a small update on what has happened since then!

Last thing I said on my journal was that I had purchased a cheap job lot of plants (the collection type 100+ random) did this to ensure I had everything set up before I set about planing my tank up fully with the good stuff :p

After much tweaking managed to get it all sorted, to the point I could not keep up with growth! a lot of the plans were your typical mega growing plans etc.

This all sounds great so where are the pictures? well I have been distracted by shiny things see below!

(Gained 2 more tanks ARG! now on 6!) and well I am getting a little obsessed with plants I can no longer settle for a tank without plants! I have been growing moss tunnels for my plec tank, setting up a new shrimp nano tank, rescued loads of new fish angelfish more plecs! to name a few, setup 2 more tanks, breeding etc.

Started the gym and off road mtb again, so its been an eventful busy 6 months.

Back to progress on my tank, I have just stripped all the plans out (the cheap test ones) and spread them around the rest of my tanks so its now ready for the main planing event!

I am still finalising my plant plan which I will post soon, so hopefully not long .

So in short (well erm maybe not short) :) I am still around and have not died :p was even in TGM last week and its like 3 hours away, just went for a browse, and accidentally purchased stuff...

Back