• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Neon Tetra Disease?

84Reasons

Hi All, need some help identifying whats wrong with my neons! Bear with me, I'll be able to get a photo later today however here's a description.
I have a school of around 20 neons, and over the last 2 months I've lost about 4, and they seem to be suffering from something. The symptoms are as follows;
White growth on mouth, white spots on body, fin rot, one has a curved spine ... they all seem to have at least one of these.
A couple of months back I thought it may be cotton mouth as there was only white growths on their mouths, however I've dosed treatment for it at least 4 times and left it a month or so and no change, also the ones that died didn't seem to have the "cotton mouth".

At this point it seems as though there is almost not a neon in my tank that doesn't have something, my conclusion is that it has to be something like neon tetra disease, as I can't seem to get rid of it?

Any ideas/advice?

Might be Neon"s + London tap water = no neon's. It's the only tetra that never lasts very long in my tanks :(.
Strange. Well after getting them I wish I'd gone for the cardinal's tbh as I think they even look better!
I googled the curved spine and there seems to be a lot of people saying neon tetra disease and you should get rid of the fish, but at this rate I'd almost have to get rid of all of them? I'm really at a loss of what to do, I don't know if I should just let it play out or do something about it as without knowing what it is it's really hard to decide. I don't want it spreading to the rest of the fish either.

Neon tetra disease no treatment possible sadly. Could be infectious to other fish.
This is what I've heard, do you think that's what it is? Could mean getting rid of a 16 fish at once .....

I managed to save 4 out of 15 last time, I quarantined them into another tank and tub, and treated with https://www.eshalabs.eu/europe/products/esha-2000supregsup.html

But if @Edvet says it is untreatable, then I was just lucky maybe...

Well everywhere I have seen confirms what he says, that if it is neon tetra disease then it is un-treatable. I also don't really have space for another tank, I live in a small one bed flat and just about got this tank in :lol:

If that's the only way to treat them or if that may work then I might try it in a small all in one kit that I can leave running for a bit .

Hi
Copied this from reply to a previous thread.
This may not help but over the last 3 yrs I've had 2x lots of 20 neons and almost without exception they've developed non specific issues. Some like yours, some gill cover issues, some with lumps, growths on fins, crooked spines etc. I never medicated for this and no other fish were affected. I honestly think it's down to crap breeding practices and I've vowed never to buy any more.

Hi
Copied this from reply to a previous thread.
This may not help but over the last 3 yrs I've had 2x lots of 20 neons and almost without exception they've developed non specific issues. Some like yours, some gill cover issues, some with lumps, growths on fins, crooked spines etc. I never medicated for this and no other fish were affected. I honestly think it's down to crap breeding practices and I've vowed never to buy any more.
Interesting, did some of them die or? so you reckon I should leave them? issue is I have a betta, one other type of tetra and also some barbs so if it is neon tetra then could infect these as well ....

I have three left from the 2 x 20 lots. Only one of these appears normal, time will tell, I suppose. Also I didn't find all the corpses so assume they either rotted away or the kuhlli's got to them. I have them with Pentazona barbs, Pristella tetras, Pearl gouramis, Ottos and kuhllis. None of these have been affected so far. I did not medicate at all for this. Up to you whether you leave them or not, I'm just relating my experiences with them. As I say, no more for me. HTH. Cheers.

Back