• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nerite eggs

Mattant1984

I've kept nerites in the past and would love some again but the hard white eggs they leave everywhere puts me off.

Do all types of nerite lay these hard white eggs and are there ways to stop it (eg do they only lay in certain water conditions etc)

Many thanks guys

Not that I know of. I dont know if you have seen them but they are really really hard and even difficult to remove from wood etc manually
Ive not no. What i would do is buy one snail at a time, and quarantine it to see if it lays eggs?

Or try, and spot if your LFS has any males....not easy i know.

3bef22d1a67d7b12eb321cf34d490c85.jpg

Yeah I haven't yet kept them myself but I've read the horned nerite snails don't leave the eggs everywhere like the others.

yeah the eggs are why i don't keep them anymore, have had lots of ruined bits of wood etc in the past!

Good luck distinguishing the male from female unless you're are a malacologist! Those photos above were probably taken with a macro lens, and even then I challenge anyone to detect mucosal folds!

Aesthetically, there are lots of snails without the white spot egg issue. If you are concerned about algae, my recommendation is buy a pleco.

Cheers.

Back