Nerite snails escaping!

GlenD

So I’ve put six snails, six cherry shrimps and six Amarno shrimps in the tank yesterday.

The bloody snails keep escaping, the tanks in the dining room and I’ve just found one in the living room 15 feet away! alive....

Arana

Mine often go for a walk around the rim of the tank, never found one that far away! The Amanos however are often found 15ft away heading for the front door :eek:

Hanuman

Common with nerites. Seems they get lost . Mine used to do the same at the begining but now only venture outside the tank glass then come back in.

Steve Buce

The ones in my more established tanks don’t seem to bother, but a bright red nerite in newest set up loves a wander, a food issue maybe or just boredomo_O

Hanuman

Don't think food is an issue in most tanks. It's just the way they are. This said Co2 can definitely be a good candidate. I usually see the snails coming out during the day probably avoiding acidic water. They usually go back in 1 or two hours, sometimes even more, after co2 injection has stoped.

dw1305

Expert
Hi all,
Don't think food is an issue in most tanks. It's just the way they are. This said Co2 can definitely be a good candidate. I usually see the snails coming out during the day probably avoiding acidic water. They usually go back in 1 or two hours, sometimes even more, after co2 injection has stoped.
We have a thread about that, have a look at pages 2 & 3 of <"Nerite Snails in a high tech">.

cheers Darrel

Hanuman

Hi all, We have a thread about that, have a look at pages 2 & 3 of <"Nerite Snails in a high tech">.

cheers Darrel

I had read that thread a few weeks ago. It is very informative. Keeping snails long term in a co2 tank usually ends up badly for the snails as their shell degrades due to the acidic conditions. I can see it in two of my tanks where the snails shells have been eroded.