Nerite snails escaping!

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by GlenD, 23 Sep 2019.

1. GlenD

GlenD Member

So I’ve put six snails, six cherry shrimps and six Amarno shrimps in the tank yesterday.

The bloody snails keep escaping, the tanks in the dining room and I’ve just found one in the living room 15 feet away! alive....

2. Arana

Arana Member

Mine often go for a walk around the rim of the tank, never found one that far away! The Amanos however are often found 15ft away heading for the front door :eek:

GlenD likes this.
  3. Hanuman

Hanuman Member

Common with nerites. Seems they get lost . Mine used to do the same at the begining but now only venture outside the tank glass then come back in.

GlenD likes this.
  4. Hanuman

Hanuman Member

Yes did find one a few weeks ago outside the front door. It is like 6 meters away from the tank. WTF.:rolleyes:

5. Steve Buce

Steve Buce Member

The ones in my more established tanks don’t seem to bother, but a bright red nerite in newest set up loves a wander, a food issue maybe or just boredomo_O

6. Hanuman

Hanuman Member

Don't think food is an issue in most tanks. It's just the way they are. This said Co2 can definitely be a good candidate. I usually see the snails coming out during the day probably avoiding acidic water. They usually go back in 1 or two hours, sometimes even more, after co2 injection has stoped.

dw1305 likes this.
  7. dw1305

dw1305 Expert

Hi all,
    We have a thread about that, have a look at pages 2 & 3 of <"Nerite Snails in a high tech">.

cheers Darrel

Hanuman likes this.
  8. GlenD

GlenD Member

Hmmm, maybe I'll put them in my non-C02 community tank until I get a lid.

Hanuman and dw1305 like this.
  9. Hanuman

Hanuman Member

I had read that thread a few weeks ago. It is very informative. Keeping snails long term in a co2 tank usually ends up badly for the snails as their shell degrades due to the acidic conditions. I can see it in two of my tanks where the snails shells have been eroded.

Steve Buce and dw1305 like this.