Nerite snails work well

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by andyh, 29 Nov 2009.

1. andyh

andyh Member

Just thought i would share this with you all. I managed to source a Nerite snail locally last week and i have put in my Kitchen tank Setup, he has been in there about a week and all i can say is boy does he like to eat algae! You can see where he has been, and he eats all types of Algae.

If you look at this picture below specifically at the lower third of the stone, you can see the path the snail has cleared, this section was like the top of the stone, covered in algae. There are entire rocks he has cleaned! :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

2. AdAndrews

AdAndrews Member

lol, im not sure whether to replace my otto's with these, seem a better choice for smaller tanks, thanks for sharing!

3. Superman

Superman Member

Nerites are great for algae clean up, IMO they are the best clean up staff you can have.

4. john starkey

john starkey Member

I totally agree,but I got rid of mine because of the eggs they lay were everywhere,
    regards john.

5. jonesy

jonesy Member

dont no about anyones else but mine seem very inactive and stay in the same spot most of the time, are mine just lazy or is there something i should be checking.

6. Brenmuk

Brenmuk Member

Will nerites be attacked by assassin snails?

7. Superman

Superman Member

They should move every few days, take them out, if they stink they're dead. If you touch their foot they should retract it if they're alive.

I believe all snails will be eaten by assassins.

8. Nick16

Nick16 Member

i kept a huuge apple snail in with an assasain and it didnt touch that. it was a fully grown one, a bit smaller than tennis ball sized.

9. jonesy

jonesy Member

there still alive stuck to the glass just dont seem to be as active as everyone elses, maybe i just have lazy snails

10. Nick16

Nick16 Member

the question is, where can you get them now? the snail shop dont do them, and nor do AE :(

11. AdAndrews

AdAndrews Member

doesnt your lfs do them? they are common in one of my local shops

12. andyh

andyh Member

John

Do i need two for them to breed? or are those clever types that do it all themselves.... :lol:

13. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

Hi Andy

Nerites require brackish water to breed and their young are hard to raise, apparently.

Fancy a challenge?! :)

14. dw1305

dw1305 Expert

Hi all,
    Some people keep Nerite snails for their egg production (usually the Olive Nerite, Neritina reclivata) you need a male and a female (and they aren't sexable), and they do best in brackish water, but this is possible in hard fresh water. After the eggs hatch and the veliger stage larvae swim upward and are attracted towards light (bit like baby brine shrimp), and if you shine a small light you can concentrate them in one spot and pipette them out. The larvae are excellent food for baby Gobies, pipe-fish, Killies etc and you can feed them in both fresh and salt water. I got this method from "Culturing Live Foods" by Michael Hellweg, well worth a read.
    cheers Darrel

15. andyh

andyh Member

Whoa there people!!

George - you misunderstood, i don't want snail eggs everywhere so just wanted to check that one would be ok? o_O

However useful info dw1305 & George as i do fancy a brackish water tank in the not so distant future ( ;) secret)

Thanks

Andy

16. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

:lol: A classic example of how the written word can be so easily misinterpreted! :)

17. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Yep nerites (apart from the annoying eggs :rolleyes:) are my algae eater of choice, here is their effect on a rock in one of my old tanks!

Rockalgae-resize-1.jpg

Sam

18. andyh

andyh Member

Thats a wicked photo to show how well they work.

19. Mr Louii

Mr Louii Newly Registered

Hello,

what's the best temperature you can keep these Nerite snails in?

My tank is mostly 25-27C...

Thanks

Mr Louii

20. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

That would be fine for nerites :)

Sam