• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nerite Snails

I think Nerites are very under-rated as an algae eater. There I said it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Do all Nerite Snails leave pesky white eggs on wood?

Thanks in advance.
I was really concerned about this when I got Nerites but I love them. My 180l tank has two zebra Nerites (about 4cm) and three horned Nerites (1-2cm). I also have a shrimp tank with three horned Nerites.

They only really leave eggs on the wood I have in the main tank and not much in the shrimp tank. I thought the eggs would bother me but I don't mind them now as they are not that intrusive.

They laid a load of eggs when first added but that seems to have reduced. I did read that if you have enough for them to think there are as many as the area can sustain they will stop laying eggs but I have no idea how much truth there is in that (that said I think at least one in the 22l shrimp tank is female but I don't see any eggs)

I have 2 in a 45L tank. If i split them up i.e. 1 in each of my two tanks would they stop laying eggs? Looking over as i type they are at it again!!! Perverts!!!:)

They need brackish water to actually hatch and most fish will eat them eventually anyway

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Back