• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

nerites

had an amazing bit of luck today..

went to my LFS, just to pop in to see what they had about.. managed to buy 6 ruby nerites for only £10!

think thats quite mad, theyre quite big as well.

Also managed to get 2 denison barbs for £14, which I recon isnt too bad either!

Who says the LFS is dead? :D

Bargain :D

I saw somewhere doing denisoni's for £8 the other day which I thought wasn't too bad. I've never had nerites, are they particulalry good? AE's description of them does make them appealing :)

Matt Holbrook-Bull said:
managed to buy 6 ruby nerites for only £10!
:D No Fair, the snail shop are out of them at the moment and don't know when they'll be back in, don't suppose you'd fancy parting with one would you? ;) :lol: Not to worry really I've got some apple snails and a couple of bee staghorn nerites on their way, should be here on tuesday :D

SteveUK said:
Bargain :D

I saw somewhere doing denisoni's for £8 the other day which I thought wasn't too bad. I've never had nerites, are they particulalry good? AE's description of them does make them appealing :)

nerites are amazing snails.. they like to be in groups, where theyll munch mountains of algae together happily.

Egmel said:
Matt Holbrook-Bull said:
managed to buy 6 ruby nerites for only £10!
:D No Fair, the snail shop are out of them at the moment and don't know when they'll be back in, don't suppose you'd fancy parting with one would you? ;) :lol: Not to worry really I've got some apple snails and a couple of bee staghorn nerites on their way, should be here on tuesday :D

hehe if the nerite drought persists, I might well go into business!!! At that price I could make a fortune and still be cheaper then both the Snail Shop and AE :lol:

What you want to do is work out how to breed them.... then you'd really make a fortune :)

Egmel said:
What you want to do is work out how to breed them.... then you'd really make a fortune :)

Theyre primarily a sea snail that has adapted to live in fresh water, so their eggs only hatch in a saline environment... which is a big pain, especially when they lay all over your rocks!

one day I might try a brackish tank, and throw a few in to see what happens.

Matt Holbrook-Bull said:
Theyre primarily a sea snail that has adapted to live in fresh water, so their eggs only hatch in a saline environment... which is a big pain, especially when they lay all over your rocks!

one day I might try a brackish tank, and throw a few in to see what happens.
I did have a quick search on the net, I think it's more than just 'a saline environment' they seem to be near impossible to breed. :(

As I say, if you can work out how to do it you could make a fortune!

yepyep

Ive read them breading in brackish, but the definition of what brackish actually meant in that case was not to be found! As far as I know, brackish is anything between fresh and marine!

who knows :)

I used to have a nerite snail, it laid eggs all over my wood. Moved it to my brackish tank and it stopped laying eggs!! :rolleyes:

well done matt, been tempted for a while to geet some nerites but need to off load a few apples first.

Matt Holbrook-Bull said:
just counted, they actually gave me 9 for a tenner!
Wow, which store was this? They're going to be miles from me but someone else might be nearby and want to get some (if you haven't bought them all by now!)

southern aquatics in creekmore, Poole.

they had maybe 30 or so left.. they also have similarly cheap apple snails.

I recon they had a job lot, to see how they sold. Theyre pretty rubbish in supporting planted tanks, so stocking a planted tank snail probably resulted in no sales! Hense they gave me a few extra. I remember going in there some weeks ago and they were about £2.99 each, so seems about right to me.

Id offer to go in for you, but Im struggling for time at the moment with a mountain of teacher planning that Ive not done so far!

Matt Holbrook-Bull said:
Id offer to go in for you, but Im struggling for time at the moment with a mountain of teacher planning that Ive not done so far!
Leave that Sky HD alone for a while :p

LondonDragon said:
Matt Holbrook-Bull said:
Leave that Sky HD alone for a while :p

lol yeah.. that and the new girlfriend. :oops:

LondonDragon said:
Matt Holbrook-Bull said:
lol yeah.. that and the new girlfriend. :oops:
That is always a good sign ;) enjoy
Agreed, enjoy :D

Thanks for the psudeo offer but it really wouldn't be worth it, I've only got a small tank so would only be after a couple. I might just have a quick look in the LFS' local to my parents whilst I'm at home-home this weekend :)

Nerites?
Why sheettit, we got them by the handful:

From plant Fest:

resizedolvivenerites.jpg

Regards,
Tom Barr

Back