• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

nerites

plantbrain said:
Nerites?
Why sheettit, we got them by the handful:

From plant Fest:

resizedolvivenerites.jpg

Regards,
Tom Barr

do you have any of these for sale mate??

I read at least one species of nerite (could be Olive?) is native to Florida. The Zebra nerite is from Africa.

I can't believe it's so difficult to find any information about certain inverts. All information about the zebra nerite (Neritina natalensis) is that it's got a complex lifecycle and is near impossible to breed...and that's it! There are people collecting them so they know the conditions they're found in. All information I can find (which isn't much) on the Zebra Nerite is that it's a freshwater snail. There are references to brackish or full marine, but these are just passing references in other forums from people who tend to lump Nerites under one roof.

i have a small trio in a almost full sw tank and have had 2 out of hundreds of babies survive until adulthood :(

beeky said:
I read at least one species of nerite (could be Olive?) is native to Florida. The Zebra nerite is from Africa.

I can't believe it's so difficult to find any information about certain inverts. All information about the zebra nerite (Neritina natalensis) is that it's got a complex lifecycle and is near impossible to breed...and that's it! There are people collecting them so they know the conditions they're found in. All information I can find (which isn't much) on the Zebra Nerite is that it's a freshwater snail. There are references to brackish or full marine, but these are just passing references in other forums from people who tend to lump Nerites under one roof.
http://www.applesnail.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15071 again not a lot of information but sounds like they do need to be in saltwater to breed. :?

they will breed in freshwater, not just saltwater, but they need saltwater for the eggs to hatch into a larval stage, then gradually reducing the saltilinity (sp) as they mature. its like a tidal thing.

working off Apple snails 2gal per adult. not sure with the Nerites, but i cant see there being much difference if not worse poop machines.

thebullit said:
they will breed in freshwater, not just saltwater, but they need saltwater for the eggs to hatch into a larval stage, then gradually reducing the saltilinity (sp) as they mature. its like a tidal thing.
Where did you find that info? Or have you bred them yourself?

The link I posted was to someone who had bred them and that was in a marine tank... there is also anecdotal evidence that they stop laying eggs in marine conditions and prefer to lay in freshwater. Someone even speculated that they needed daily tidal conditions for optimal breeding. It still seems that there's an awful lot which is unknown and most of what people repeat on forums is from other people speculating. I'm hoping that there will one day be a 'formula' for how to breed them that the lay-man can follow and then we wont have to collect them from the wild for our hobby.

its just what i have read and heard. no i havnt tried to breed them, looks like to much hard work :rolleyes: at the moment.

hellohefalump said:
I've never kept these before - would two be alright in a 2.5gal nano, with cherry shrimp?

I've never kept snails (on purpose) ever - I have no idea about stocking.

I have two in a 20 liter dennerle nano which I believe is equal to about 2.5 gallons. They're doing fine and there's four cherry shrimps in there too, you will find that they eat all the algae on the glass and run out pretty quickly though so you have to supplement their diet.

Are nerites sensitive to ammonia? My tank is still cycling (waiting for aquasoil spike to go away). It's nearly there though, it has 0.1ml/litre according to my test kit. I have a few pest snails that came with some of my plants, who are thriving despite ammonia, would nerites be the same?

i would most deffinatly say NO as they are sensitive snails like most are to water conditions.

hellohefalump said:
Ok, I'll wait until the cycle is complete. Funny how the pest snails are doing so well...
Add a bit more ammonia and get rid of them while you can ;)

I actually don't mind them, it's a constant live food supply for my clown loach/humbugs in my big tank. There are only a couple of them at the moment, but I'm hoping for a few more to use as food.

hellohefalump said:
I actually don't mind them, it's a constant live food supply for my clown loach/humbugs in my big tank. There are only a couple of them at the moment, but I'm hoping for a few more to use as food.
In which case you're in luck! If you want more just add a bit of food for them and you'll soon have a small army!

agree there like rabbits, if you have 1 you will have an army in no time, well if thats what your after.

I really don't mind. Seriously - my 100gal was full of malasian trumpet snails. It was totally infested - you never saw so many snails!! I added two clown loaches and some humbug cats and they were gone within a couple of months. There are now NO snails in my 100gal, at all. Those fish really like snails!

Also, snails eat algae, and every little helps!

My ammonia/nitrites are finally gone, and I've gone ahead and got a couple of nerites. They both have slight damage to their shells, one more than the other. Does this matter? Apart from that they are fine - they are both now attached to my glass and eating algae.

hellohefalump said:
My ammonia/nitrites are finally gone, and I've gone ahead and got a couple of nerites. They both have slight damage to their shells, one more than the other. Does this matter? Apart from that they are fine - they are both now attached to my glass and eating algae.
So long as you can't see snail through the shell it should be ok. It's because they're all wild caught. Mine have bit's which are a bit white in places too.

Back