• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nesaea and Ludwigia queries

CeeJay

Hi all

My planted tank is entering it's 3rd month of life, (180l, EI, pressurised CO2, 2wpg, 10x flow).
I currently have two queries regarding the above plants.
First question
I have a monster sized Nesaea pedicellata that is growing really well (a bit too well actually :lol: ) but tonight I have noticed on 3 individual stems only that the top 2 pairs of leaves are starting to curl up and wrinkle. The leaves are not discoloured in any way and have no holes in them but they are just looking a bit weird. Any ideas what might be causing this? The rest of the plant is looking top notch, including the top leaves of all the other stems.

Second question
Does anyone know if Ludwigia repens is 'allergic' to Easycarbo? I'm currently reducing my Easycarbo dosage gradually to see if I can manage without it, but this recently introduced plant just seems to be 'melting away'.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Thanks Clive.
ceg4048 said:
There is strong suspicion that these is a CO2 issues...
Just when you think you've got everything sorted it turns round and bites you in the bum. :( More fiddling required then.
Thanks for the reply.

Chris.

chrisr01 said:
Second question
Does anyone know if Ludwigia repens is 'allergic' to Easycarbo? I'm currently reducing my Easycarbo dosage gradually to see if I can manage without it, but this recently introduced plant just seems to be 'melting away'.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Chris

Answer to the second question is definitely "NO" because i was double dosing my tank with easy carbo - 25mls - 24/7

Regards
paul.

Thanks Flyfisherman.
I'll take that as a NO then :lol:
This is definitely weird though, a lot of the leaves are turning black and appear to be dying.
I'll battle along with it as there are still a few good stems left and hopefully it will recover. The rest of the tank is bombing along nicely. :D
Cheers.

Chris.

chrisr01 said:
a lot of the leaves are turning black and appear to be dying.

Along with crinkling and melting, blackening is another sign of CO2 deficiency.
This blackening often affects stems near the substrate, or in heavy groups of stems - when this happens it hints at flow being the root issue.

Thanks for that a1Matt.
I'll take on board what you guys have said and will conduct some flow 'experiments' at the weekend at WC time.
I will just say, upon paying close attention to this plant it is swaying a bit in the flow and the good bits of the plant are like a jacuzzi, releasing oxygen bubbles constantly. :?
The weirdest thing is the plant right next to it is as green as green could be and growing like it's got some desire to grow up and out of the water and join me in the living room. :lol: . Maybe it's munching all the CO2 before it gets to the sick plant. Might move the plant a bit and see what happens.
Thanks to all for taking the time out to reply.
Will let you know if I sort this one.
Thanks.

Chris.

Back