• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nesting Gouramis - little b*****ds.

idris

Just got some female Dward Gouramis to stop my males from being so aggressive towards each other.
What's the first thing the alpha male does?
Start pulling up my newly planted Tennullus to build a b****y nest. It hadn't been in the tank 48hrs. Little b*****d.

I assume there's no way to stop them?

put something at the water surface for him to build under, Easiest is a Polystyrene cup cut in half.

Is that normal? His trying to get something floating on top to nest under?

Sad to heat mate but hey could have some loooooove making! Haha

I realise it's just normal behaviour, and that's precicely why I added the females - so they would be in a more normal social group and behave more normally, less agressively.
And I'm certainly not going to begrudge the randy little f****rs getting jiggy. Far from it. I'll be more than happy for them to breed. But I'd just rather they didn't dig up my new plants before they've even had a chance to take root.

But seriously, rather than a polystyrene cup, would something like a plastic mesh pot scourer be better - structurally more like what he's constructing at the moment?
Obviously plants would be even better, so any suggestions for floating plants that are VERY slow growing and won't try to cover the surface of the tank?

Thanks Darrel. I like the idea of moss on a cork. I've got Taiwan and Round Pelia - the Gouramis aren't using any of that but would they work as well as Java?

Hi all,
I've got Taiwan and Round Pelia - the Gouramis aren't using any of that but would they work as well as Java?
I don't think it matters what plant it is particularly, it just needs to be something that acts as a physical support for the bubble nest. I don't think Round Pellia will work, because it won't trap the bubbles, but I don't see why most mosses wouldn't do.

After a bit of thought I think that Riccia is absolutely ideal, as it combines being brittle with forming a real lattice, allowing the Gourami to use bits of it in the nest as well as a providing physical support for the bubble nest.

cheers Darrel

Back