• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Neutro bromo blue

MikeJojo

Hi

I have two drop checkers in my Rio 125. One is usual glass one and other is JBL plastic one. I use Neutro bromo blue ready to use solution bought on AE. When JBL looks light green glass one is dark green at the same time. I believe it is due to difference in amount of solution in both of them and the fact that JBL has that white bit of plastic for better reading.

My question is what green should I aim for? I know that DC is a guide only but I really trying to reach optimum level of co2 for my plants and safe for my fish and shrimp at the same time. I know I can monitor my fish to adjust co2 but when comes to shrimp as far as I know if you see them stressed and running all over the tank it can be too late for them right?

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is you jbl drop checker the one with the white strip inside ? If it is that could explain the visual colour difference, as for colour lime green is about where you want to be, almost yellow, I cant really comment on the shrimp as I dont know much about shrimp and co2 so hopefully someone else can advise you :

Hi. Yes, it's JBL with white strip. Difference for me is not maybe in colour itself but in shade of it. In jbl, that white strip gives you lighter colour of solution as there is not much of it between that that white strip and plastic housing you seeing through. There is more bromo solution in glass dc, therefore it gives you much darker color.

Mike

Here is little update. I eventually tried to get full unit ph drop from gas on till lights on. My kh is 10. Here is table

10:30 - ph 7.0 - 7.2 (could not decide what colour it was on Api Ph test kit) - gas on

12:10 - ph 6.6

13:15 - ph 6.4 - lights on

15:25 - ph 6.4

17:05 - ph 6.4

19:00 - ph 6.4 - gas off

20:15 - ph 6.4

I took photo of Jbl and glass dc at gas off. Here it is

uperegu9.jpg

ymeqa6en.jpg

gaquhunu.jpg

As you can see there is different shade if you look at both dc especially when there are plants behind glass dc. I placed white piece of paper behind glass dc just to see difference.

Question is if my co2 injection is just right or too much? My shrimp did act different than usual. They went couple of times for a swim up to the surface so I guess to escape from too much co2 in water. Other than that they were wandering around eating algae as usual.

Help will be really appreciated :)

Mike

Back