• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New 500l tank project plans

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Hi guys,

Don't know if you guys saw this on the PFK forum, just to show what I am planning for my next tank.
I have a nice corner in the living room for a tank and would be nice if I could build something in place in an "L" shape.
I have been looking around and have send the plans to various companies but so far had no luck with quotes and someone interested in doing something like this, i don't see it being that complicated, I just don't have the experience to try something like this myself, don't want to wake up in the morning with a flooded house.
On the drawing I sketched in a sump, but this could be replaced with a couple of filters instead.

This is the corner in question with the measurements:
measurementswm1.jpg

Proposed stand, did this in wood, but could be metal or anything else:
canto2ys5.jpg

Wooden stand:
canto4sq7.jpg

Tanks on stand:
canto10gc9.jpg

Wood framing:
canto10aql1.jpg

Finished product with wood paneling and doors:
canto11fm0.jpg

Tank measuments:
measurements2kt1.jpg

What do you guys think? Know any good aquarium custom builders?

Comments and critics always welcomed :)

There was a tank setup like this on ebay the other month which was all built in BUT was several 4ft tanks in a U (3 walls) Lookd great and I would guess easier to maintain (and problem solve) than 1 large L shaped tank.

You could try these guys (Oneof thesponsors on TFF)
http://www.windsor-aquatics.co.uk/

Andy

Would look awesome. I think Andy's got a point though, two smaller rectangular tanks would be a lot easier and cheaper and you could either link them with the filters to circulate the water between all the tanks or have two completely separate systems. The only thing I might say is about the width and height of the tanks. At 2ft high but just over 1ft wide maintenance could be a real headache.

I'm guessing you live in a house with the stairs going up the middle (i.e. between two rooms). Perhaps 1930's? Hence the shape of the space available?

That aside... I always have a nagging concern about the stress dynamics on L-shaped tanks. I'm no engineer etc and I know L-shaped tanks exist but to have two heavy objects "hanging" off a junction makes my head hurt to think about what's going on.

bugs said:
I'm guessing you live in a house with the stairs going up the middle (i.e. between two rooms). Perhaps 1930's? Hence the shape of the space available?

That aside... I always have a nagging concern about the stress dynamics on L-shaped tanks. I'm no engineer etc and I know L-shaped tanks exist but to have two heavy objects "hanging" off a junction makes my head hurt to think about what's going on.
Solid concrete 30cm walls and concrete floors built in the 50's the tank is going nowhere ;)

Can't really be built off site, it will have to have the base built in place and then the glass glued in place also.
As its an L shape it won't really go into the corner if you built it outside ;)
I though about the corner tank for an Arrowana which I always been a fan off, but I would rather have the L shapped tank, would have larger viewing area and would have a greater impact.
Last quote I got was for 7 grand which I thought was ridiculous lol

aaronnorth said:
ouch! i got a quote for a 200l (100x40x45cm approx) and it would of cost £240, not bad really, maybe you could build it yourself? Or are you not one of the DIY people lol.
Good luck,
Aaron
I wouldn't be able to sleep at night after I built it thats the problem LOL and I don't really know anyone that would build such I thing, I have a budget of around 3 grand for tank and some equipment that I tought would be more.
Just have to try a few more takn builders and see what I can get. thanks :)

bugs said:

I think this poster was referring to outwards rather than downwards, in that the shape of the tank L might cause stress problems on the joint at the corner of the L!! and therefore leaks, waterfalls, cascades or with this tank size Tsunami!!!

Andy

Arana said:
Here's some inspiration... :D
Now thats cool, where did you get it? would be curious to read some more about it. Thanks

aaronnorth said:
will look ace if you get it built, try wharf aqautics but i dont think they deliver, email them for a quote, they got back to me in 3days.

You could also have a glass wall going across the front to make a massive corner aquarium but maintenance will be a pain in the a***

They do deliver and have quoted me in the past for everything including lighton on a custom tank.

How about going with acrylic if your worried about it leaking? Plus that way you could have an unobstructed view of the tank, will probably cost a little more but it's supposedly safer then glass(as in less likely to leak / break) & is alot lighter.

Have a look at this acrylic bow front L shape tank, looks pretty good :D

http://www.talkingtanks.com/custom.php

Thanks for the replies :)

I will have to give those guys a call and see what they can do. Although I think no one will take it on as it must be assemble in place due to the place where its going.
Acrylic custom piece for the front must cost a fortune also! I will give it a shot and see ;)

Cheers :)

Could you cut down costs using some other water resistant material other than glass for the sections against the wall, as this will support against outward bowing. Could you get the same effect of an L shaped tank with two rectangular tanks and some clever planting where they meet to give the effect of a continuous tank?

Thanks to jayne and hubby for some tips and recomendations, got a decent quote for the tank build, this might still be on after all, can't wait to find out more info from the supplier :)

Back