• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New 600 tank setup - is HC Cuba carpet going to struggle?

Hi guys

Bit late to ask as already started growing in emersed but does this seem enough substrate below?

I keep seeing Juris and GF on YouTube making the front quite shallow for appearance so I tried the same, but realise HC Cuba has tiny roots and wonder if this is going to work?

Many thanks

4b5b71e2dfab6b24c944fd4bf814b1ff.jpg

21f4f83bb1ba16fde63f7b00e1924762.jpg

2760068a8b51a963917f8ecef8bb9806.jpg
5b4ed1cd2e1883b427ea77901b36d942.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also any recommendations for a back frosting? Tried a couple but looked bubbly and a bit naff.

I’ll probably add this one to a journal soon.

You'll be able to grow that cuba carpet just fine but keep in mind that cuba has a tendency to uproot itself when it gets too thick, because airpockets will form underneath. Make sure you keep it as short as possible or else it won't last more than a few months.

Thanks man.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I’ll pursue it and try and keep it quite trim but if it’s a pain I might try a different carpet..

Sweet thanks mate.

I’ve got some already but it wasn’t sticky back it was just static cling I think? That’s probably the problem!

Just watch Jurijs mit JS video tutorial
Foggy Films
;)

Then Mark Evans HC video
:oops: which I can’t find atm :sorry:

Note that 3-4cm is the most often recommended minimum depth for aquarium soils (re Jurijs, George, Filipe, Green Aqua) though 2-3cm will support a carpet, it’s more difficult to keep plants from floating after initial planting - though you’ve sorted this with the dry start

I suspect that soil depth will also affect long term plant growth re nutrition

Just watch Jurijs mit JS video tutorial
Foggy Films
;)

Then Mark Evans HC video
:oops: which I can’t find atm :sorry:

Note that 3-4cm is the most often recommended minimum depth for aquarium soils (re Jurijs, George, Filipe, Green Aqua) though 2-3cm will support a carpet, it’s more difficult to keep plants from floating after initial planting - though you’ve sorted this with the dry start

I suspect that soil depth will also affect long term plant growth re nutrition

Will watch thanks man!

I did get the static one to stick but it had loads of bubbles!

I was afraid it was too shallow yeah - I don’t think I can make the carpet substrate deeper now though? Unless I can scoop something under it all and lift it to pour beneath. My substrate is about 1cm lol.

Root tabs might be needed in future and I used lots of minerals and powders in there too.

Your substrate depth is fine! mine is the same and never had any problems. You can always ad a thin layer on top and let the hc grow through

I suspect you can also lift it and add soil beneath - my preference over adding soil on top - while the plant will grow through the new soil, you will have a uniform layer of dead plant matter below (eventually)

As to whether anything needs to be done, I would say it depends on your intended longevity of the scape

It’s also fairly easy to allow this to “lift” at some future time, remove from tank, add new substrate (2-3cm depth), then replant the HC - carpet should quickly fill in (assuming suitable CO2, light etc)

In other words, choose your path, they’re all workable :)

Updating this on the journals :) thanks for the help guys it had a trim today after submerging!

Last edited:
Cheers dude I’ll update soon.

Plants doing great adapting and got some Super Reds in too.

Frosted background is on but not sure if I like it or not, might take it off later. Seems to make the back seem quite fake for me, not sure why.

Back