Critique my hardscape New 60cm forest hardscape

IamAHill

Hi I'm in the process of setting up my 60cm tank with a forest/swamp theme. Its based around the idea of 2 tree stumps, a large branchy one in the foreground and a smaller one in the back right corner. The soil will slope up towards the back right corner - bit lower on the left because of the filter inlet. The tank will be largely viewed from the front and the front right corner.

I have quite a lot of river cobbles of differing sizes that Im debating if I should add or just stick to wood?

Let me know what you think

thanks Andy

tank scape 1.png

kishan313

Looking great initially, definitely reccomend river pebbles, I think they give a bit of a unique feel compared to dragonstone/ seiryu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ady34

Global Moderator
Staff member
Yep, you could try adding some river pebbles and perhaps trim some of the lower roots on the front left most piece of wood to get it to sit lower in the water column. This will help add extra perspective with your planned substrate slope.
Cheerio,

IamAHill

Thanks guys appreciated - unfortunately I've just changed some water (I'm doing a fishless cycle and the ammonia keeps raising my ph too high) and the wood has basically all come apart where I had glued it - used cigarette filters and glue to create it and the filters are still rock hard but the wood is just breaking off under the wood.

I think I might need to abandon this scape and come up with an other idea that doesnt require glue.

dw1305

Expert
Hi all,
I'm doing a fishless cycle and the ammonia keeps raising my ph too high
You <"don't need to add ammonia">.

It is better to plant the tank and then wait until the plants have grown in before adding the livestock. <"Plant/microbe biological filtration"> is much more efficient than most fish-keeper realize, partially due to the <"increased oxygen production">.

<"Fishless cycling"> was based on the premise that <"relatively few bacteria are capable of nitrification">, and that they required high alkalinity and ammonia loading, but <"scientific research has shown that isn't true">.

cheers Darrel

IamAHill

Wow thankyou! great links - long night of reading ahead of me.

I have decided to go down this route now also - just waiting for a few weeks while I have some time off work then ordering my plants and getting all set up. Plan is to let it get a few weeks growth in, keep up with the initial water changes and then add 10 galaxy rasbora once Im happy the plants are growing in.

For now the tank is full but just so the wood sinks so I can glue it back together :)