• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New 60cm Scape

webworm

With dismal weather, and needing to get 2 boys out of the house, it seemed like a good excuse to go on the hunt for some hardscaping materials for my 60cm 55L tank.

We came back with the following

DSC00100.JPG

DSC00098.JPG

DSC00099.JPG

DSC00101.JPG

I'd appreciate any comments or thoughts on this.

Thanks

Stuart

No.1 - No
No.2 - Better
No.3 - Great - would look amazing with loads of moss, ferns and anubias attatched and crypts around it

Thanks.

Yeah no1 have to agree it's all to symmetrical.

no3 looks good. Just need to decide on substrate, I'd like something black / dark, maybe Amazonia soil from ADA.

The only thing I want from a plant point of view is a HC carpet for part of the tank.

A slight variation on no 3.

DSC00102.JPG

Juggling the Sunday roast so not the best pictures with the mobile phone cam.

I'm 90% that this dosn't work, or perhaps I missing something ?

DSC00103.JPG

Of course it's also more difficult with no substrate in to make the wood stand away from the glass.

Two more....... I'll try some upside down ones soon. Again, resting against the front glass, with substrate they'll be about a 1.5" gap, between the sticky ends and front glass.

DSC00105.JPG
DSC00104.JPG

Is Ada Amazonia Soil a good choice ? Do I need anything else in the substrate ?

I prefer no. 2 of the above.

Yep, ADA Aquasoil is the best out there. They do recommend that you use Power Sand also, but it's been proven that it doesn't mater - plus it's very expensive.

Ok, this is getting addictive.

I'm quite liking this one, apologies for the poor lighting, and lack of sharp focus.

DSC00107.JPG

Thanks for all the input thus far, having left the wood overnight, it still looks pretty good this morning, so I'm sticking with it.

Just need to source some substrate, sort out the filter fittings and we're off. I'd like initially to plant up with HC, can someone give some guidance on a good starting planting density ?

I would go for ADA definately for the substrate - you would regret it otherwise.

The best advice is to start off straight away with a high plant density. If you want to start with HC, make sure you have plenty of fast growers (e.g. stems like Rotala, Hygrophila etc).

And here begins the second lesson.

Why the need for fast growing stem plants ?

Thanks

Stuart

To act as nutrient sponges. Alternatively you could do a dry start up which is a lot less hassle. Takes patience though.

webworm said:
Why the need for fast growing stem plants ?

apparently it soaks up excess nutrients. but if you run the whole system correctly, you can get away without using them. its a balance between lights nutrients and co2. the ADA AS is a smart move IMO.

great to see you've got enthusiasm ;)

Back