• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New 60cm Scape

Thomas McMillan said:
I prefer no. 2 of the above.

Yep, ADA Aquasoil is the best out there. They do recommend that you use Power Sand also, but it's been proven that it doesn't mater - plus it's very expensive.

Ooh, proof! Could you post a link to the research?

Cheers,

M ;)

I'm going to try and draw up a planting plan, I'll be ordering substrate tomorrow so it's all systems go.

A few more images.... With a slight tweak to the intertwining of the wood, Time to look at getting better pictures.

DSC00110.JPG

DSC00109.JPG

DSC00108.JPG

vauxhallmark said:
Ooh, proof! Could you post a link to the research?

There's not necessarily research as such, but just a lot of people have found that using Power Sand aswell isn't as beneficial as it's made out to be. The little benefit doesn't outweigh the price.

I think this scape would look even more amazing with a sand foreground... :)

PS - I want your wood :)

No real progress, my filter spare parts have arrived. I"m thinking about stocking for the tank, which wasn't helped by a trip to lfs on the way home from work yesterday, then had some very nice Dwarf Puffers.....

A couple of quesitons.

1 - Is there a reduction in stocking densities for planted tanks from the norm ?
2 - How much substrate do I need for a 60cm x 30cm tank ?
3 - Will I regret going with something like eco-complete instead of ADA Amazonia ?

Hopefully I'll have a planting plan drawn up over the weekend to share with you all.

1) we usually understock so that the plants are the main focal point, and less nutrients from their waste is added.
2) have a minimum depth of 1" then adding more towards the back.

(length x width x depth) / 1000 = litres.

if you go with a substrate which tells you the litre of the bag (eg 9l), then simply add it onto the end of the calculation (highlighted in bold)

(length x width x depth) / 1000 / 9l = bags needed

So whilst I wait for the delivery of some nice subs. Heres some more woodscape layouts.....

DSCF3618.JPG

DSCF3617.JPG

DSCF3616.JPG

DSCF3615.JPG

Ok.

Here's my current plan.

Substrate : ADA Amazonia Aqua Soil
Hardscape: Something not too far from.
DSCF3617.JPG

Not sure on a profile for the substrate, but I'm leaning toward the high ground being around the base of the wood. I'm open to some guidance on this.

Planting: HC to fill the foreground
Staurogyne sp. Having seen Dan's photos' I've got to give this a go, going with this beneath and behind the overhanging branch.
Pogostemon Helferi, round the right hand side base, and in the mid ground beneath the overhanging branch.
Blyxa japonica, as a background (this is my one uncertainty).
Ricca on the wood itself.

Thats the plan, well the plan right now.

Sounds good.

For the substrate, it's a good idea to have it sloped up towards the base of the wood. It's also good to have it sloped up towards the back of the tank, from say 2" at the front to about 5" at the back to create more depth.

Anyone able to give some guidance on the amount of plants required ?

I'm currently thinking 3 pots of HC, and 2 of each of the remaining apart from the Ricca, going with a single clump of this in the start ?

Cheers

Stuart

No real progress.

I'm waiting on the arrival of substrate and plants, hopefully they'll be here on Tuesday.

I've decided to investigate my local water quality, see below is RO water an option I should be considering ?

Hardness Level Moderately Hard No Standard Applies
Hardness Clark 11.9 No Standard Applies Degrees Clark
Hardness French 17 No Standard Applies French Degrees
Hardness German 9.6 No Standard Applies German Degrees
Aluminium 47.5 200 μgAl/l
Chloride 48.3 250 mgCl/l
Chlorine 0.42 No Standard Applies mg/l
Coliform bacteria 0 0 no./100ml
Colour 1.27 20 mg/l Pt/Co
Conductivity 427.3 2500 μS/cm at 20°C
E.coli bacteria 0 0 no./100ml
Fluoride 0.58 1.5 mgF/l
Iron 8 200 μgFe/l
Manganese 2.7 50 μgMn/l
Nitrate 24.3 50 mgNO3/l
Odour 0 3 at 25°C Dilution Number
Pesticides 0 0.5 μg/l
pH 7.23 6.5 - 10.0 pH Value
Sodium 25.8 200 mgNa/l
Taste 0 3 at 25°C Dilution Number
Plumbing Metals
Copper 0.02 2.0 mgCu/l
Lead 2.4 25 μgPb/l
Nickel 1.3 20 μgNi/l

I really wouldn't ever bother with RO water in a high tech planted tank. Just normal, good old tap water is fine.

aaronnorth said:
1) we usually understock so that the plants are the main focal point, and less nutrients from their waste is added.

if you go with a substrate which tells you the litre of the bag (eg 9l), then simply add it onto the end of the calculation (highlighted in bold)

Assuming you mean "depth" to be the required depth of the substrate, rather than the depth of the tank?

i.e. (60cm x 30cm x 5cm substrate) / 1000 / 9l = 1 bag

BTW, any new pics?

beeky said:
aaronnorth said:

Assuming you mean "depth" to be the required depth of the substrate, rather than the depth of the tank?

i.e. (60cm x 30cm x 5cm substrate) / 1000 / 9l = 1 bag

BTW, any new pics?

Yes, thanks for pointing it out.

Hopefully some new pictures this weekend. Not much progress, as always, having ordered substrate and some plants, work and family have sucked all my spare time.

Ok, update time. Things havn't gone as well as I'd have hoped. I ended up having to leave my plants with my parents in their tank, unfortionatly most of my 2 pots of HC didn't survive.

I'm hoping to pickup some plants tomorrow to add to the current setup, heres a 'phonecam' picture of the tank it's just had a 50% water change.

DSC00119.JPG

More pictures here http://picasaweb.google.com/aqua.webworm/Aquascaping#

Made a visit to Dobbies on the way home from work on Thus.

I've added the following to the tank

5 pots Hygrophila corymbosa
3 post Pogostemon helferi
6 bunches Vallisneria americana ''mini twister''

DSCF3622.JPG

DSCF3623.JPG

I'm going to hold off adding any new HC till after xmas.

Back