• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New 70 Gallon hardscape Buce tank

plantbrain

Expert
I'm still messing with the scape and will make some changes as things grow in a bit more. For now, I'm just getting some plant species mixed in that I want to grow in some more and not languish in a bucket or in the Quarantine tanks.
I likely will add another emergent branch in the back and have the moss come up on it. After about 2-3 weeks, the moss and other plants will adapt well to the emergent growth and will start to look decent.
As the Riccardia grows out, it will wedge itself in between the plants and form new clusters better. Some are just sort of loose and I'll need to replant and put some things back in, but that's easier than really securing everything.
I'll add more to the density and may remove the belem grass or I might accept that instead of the Gloss for the foreground. If I add the extra wood on the right side in the back, those Buce's will go up on the branches, and back towards the rear middle more.
This will allow more of the foreground plants to sweep around and give a better focus on the wood and Buce tree epiphtyes.
But for now...........
I'll pick and do minor things for the next month or two.
The only really major thing will be hiding the weir overflow box, pump and return.
I have 3-4 plans for this and I'll experiment with each to see what I prefer.
This will lead into doing this for all/most of my tanks' prefilter weir boxes and returns.
I have a very stepwise approach to experimentation to improve overall aesthetics.
This scape design lends well to hiding all the equipment. So it makes sense to do it for this tank.
I still need to work on hiding the inflow and returns, need to plant the 15 or so smaller Anubias whites, wait a bit and then add the wood for the rear Right side.
Need to add more Fish(next Monday I suppose) and get some CRS SS or SSS grades, maybe 30-40. The ADA AS is aged now, so it's good for them, temps are nice and low, CPD do not prey on shrimp(at least the RCS).
The rest is just picking a little picking and making sure the plants are staying in place, doing 2x a week water changes etc.

angledRview_zpscf05f5cd.jpg
Emergentgrowthmoss_zps80172132.jpg
Rsideview_zpsfd93d9ec.jpg
frontview_zpsb38b8a14.jpg
Lsideview_zps1f7cef2e.jpg
Lview_zps0efaf23e.jpg

Attachments

• angledRview_zpscf05f5cd.jpg
    angledRview_zpscf05f5cd.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 214
  • Emergentgrowthmoss_zps80172132.jpg
    Emergentgrowthmoss_zps80172132.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 186
  • Rsideview_zpsfd93d9ec.jpg
    Rsideview_zpsfd93d9ec.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 333
  • frontview_zpsb38b8a14.jpg
    frontview_zpsb38b8a14.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 170
  • Lview_zps0efaf23e.jpg
    Lview_zps0efaf23e.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Lsideview_zps1f7cef2e.jpg
    Lsideview_zps1f7cef2e.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 201
Love the way this is heading.

That's got to be the most natural looking shot of any tank I've ever seen! An absolute triumph. Makes me realise just how effective it is to cover wood in plants, very aged and natural looking. What are those fish Tom?

The fish are perfect in this tank, they give a nice contrast to the darker buce.
And indeed, this is really showing off......I still have a lot to learn if I see this.

The fish are perfect in this tank, they give a nice contrast to the darker buce.
And indeed, this is really showing off......I still have a lot to learn if I see this.

I'm not particularly fond on unnatural colors in planted tanks, hybrids etc, but I've bred normal phenotype fish and gotten a few Albino recessives over the years, so I'm okay with it. I had a lot of CPD, but you'd never see them.
The fish are small, easy to keep as flies, contrast very strongly against the plants like the White Anubias. Their movements and size also contrast well for the display. Cardinals would do well also, but I have 300-400 in another tank.

Back