• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Aquael Ultramax

Millns84

My LFS (Fishroom in Poynton) is an Aquael stockist and the owner was showing me one of Aquael's new Ultramax canisters today.

It was the 1000 model but I was blown away by the build quality, size and how well thought out it is. Even the trays clip together to prevent bypass and the tray handles are either side of each tray to maximise flow. Priming is also really easy with just a single pull of a lever.

Best part for me was the pre filter, which can be removed and cleaned without stopping the filter which should save loads of time.

I'm now considering getting two of the 2000 versions for my Rio 450 - 2000lph, five trays and only 24w to run.

Doubt anyone has any experience of these as they've just been released but thought it was worth seeing if anyone's got one?

Last edited:
I’ve just looked this filter up a result of your post and it looks great from what I’m seeing so far. Currently I have a bio master 600 thermo and I’m in two minds about replacing it. I had one fail after just 2 months and although my current one is ok the flow rate leaves something to be desired. I’m really restricted because of the way my cabinet is designed (can’t fit an fx4/fx6 under it). 2000lph is exactly what I’m looking for 200L tank!

I’m going to research more and if I buy one I’ll review it here. Only gripe is no built in heater.

I’ve just looked this filter up a result of your post and it looks great from what I’m seeing so far. Currently I have a bio master 600 thermo and I’m in two minds about replacing it. I had one fail after just 2 months and although my current one is ok the flow rate leaves something to be desired. I’m really restricted because of the way my cabinet is designed (can’t fit an fx4/fx6 under it). 2000lph is exactly what I’m looking for 200L tank!

I’m going to research more and if I buy one I’ll review it here. Only gripe is no built in heater.

Have you seen Pondguru's video on how to mod the Biomaster to maximise flow? Might be worth considering before you fork out for another filter.

I suppose you could get a Hydor inline heater for the Aquael.

I've currently got two Sunsun 704b filters which are 2000lph each but I'm thinking the Aquael filters would be an improvement.

Have you seen Pondguru's video on how to mod the Biomaster to maximise flow? Might be worth considering before you fork out for another filter.

I suppose you could get a Hydor inline heater for the Aquael.

I've currently got two Sunsun 704b filters which are 2000lph each but I'm thinking the Aquael filters would be an improvement.

I haven’t yet but I will have a look at that, thanks! I’m currently running without the pre filter foams and minimal filter media but even then it’s not great.

I measured up the aquael and unfortunately it’s about 1cm too wide for my cabinet :( I have a 200L tank but the cabinet design is stupid! It’s getting quite old now so I’m thinking of replacing it with a roma 200 soon

I've got a thermo 600 and have been pretty happy with it but this filter looks great on paper. Would be interesting to hear some proper views. 2000l/h sounds nice.

Check out Pond Gurus vid on the ultamax...
Seriously guys this is the best ex filter i have ever had,extremely well made,easy to service,and stuffed with 6kgs of media and 3 foam pads as well as the pre filter it gives a excellent flow, brilliant piece of kit at a really good price if you buy from the ebay eu link.

Has anyone got one of these and can measure it up? I'd like to see how it compares to the biomaster in terms of size, thinking of replacing the cabinet on my tank to accommodate a larger filter.

Ive had one for a few days and even full of media its still throwing out 1750 lph. It is absolutely silent and is easy to control flow.
It measures 27x29x45cm
Ive swapped it for my fx6 (which is for sale) and im getting 2 more to replace my eheim pro4 600's.

Ive had one for a few days and even full of media its still throwing out 1750 lph. It is absolutely silent and is easy to control flow.
It measures 27x29x45cm
Ive swapped it for my fx6 (which is for sale) and im getting 2 more to replace my eheim pro4 600's.
Hi Leedsrhionjohn - can i ask why you are swapping the fx6 out? Looking for a filter myself and thats currently on my list of possibles

Hi Kayne
The only reason im swapping is the fact it comes with a pre-filter that's so easy to take out and clean, 2 minutes and its done.
Its mainly to make things easier for the mrs really, other than that no other reason as ive been more than happy with my fx6 and will recommend it to anybody.

The fx6 full of media, I got approx. 3000 lph which is 500 lph less than stated, the aquael ive got 1750 lph which is 250 lph less than stated but it suits my needs just fine.
If it wasn't for the easy pre filter of the ultramax then I wouldn't have changed my fx6.

It measures 27x29x45cm

Drat, that's about an inch too wide for my cabinet :(

Noisewise how do you compare both?
Hi
I'm the guy you've been speaking to on you tube mate.
Noise wise, the fx6 has a slight hum but I can only hear it when Im close to the filter but the ultramax you need to have your ear against it to detect any noise.

i thought so but was not sure. I was really really pending towards the ultramax but at the same time i am afraid of leaks and long term availability of parts. There were quite some reports of leakages on the early stage of release so i was looking to hear plenty of opinions before buying. But you have just convinced me. Going to give it a go and hope for the best.

@leedsrhinojohn got the ultramax up and running and so far 5 stars. Working great out of the box and the noise level non existent, its amazing. Will try to do a pre-filter maintenance next week and see how it goes. Any idea what is the symbol that looks like the wireless network that sit on top of the lid of the pre-filter for? A clogging indicator?

I new you would not be disappointed, as for the symbol thing, I have no idea what it is as it isn't connected to anything or fits in anything, its just there,

Back