• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Aquael Ultramax

I have ordered one today can't wait to get it set up! I bought it from a polish aquarium shop. Have you guys set it up like pond guru did?

Have you guys set it up like pond guru did?
That guy is only interested in selling his biohome. Filters can be set up in different ways with different media to suit you and your tank,
All he ever does is put a sponge in it and fills it up with biohome, as much as possible to maximise the amount people will want to buy.
You can fill a filter with ten baskets of biohome but you will still get the same amount of bacteria as is needed for the tank, so it makes the stuff not utilised redundant.
Just my opinion

Indeed so far only great things to say and it was thanks to you i got it. Was a bit afraid of the early mention of leaks in the (polish?) youtube videos but everything seems ok.

About setting it up i do agree with leedsrhinojohn, no need for so much biological filtration. I use a mix of course, medium/fine, filter floss, biological and filter floss/purigen on top just to prevent some media debries or other stuff to reach the impeller.

In your opinions is the media supplied with the filter sufficient enough to run a planted tank or should I buy some other media?

Thanks

There are lots of different options depending on your tank, i dont run a planted tank, mines a discus set up so my filter will be set up different to yours, but just make sure you put course, medium and fine sponges at the bottom as water rises from the bottom upwards through the trays. Me personally would have course at bottom, next tray medium , next try fine sponge, next try the media what comes with the filter and lad tray empty to put carbon or such like as and when needed.

In your opinions is the media supplied with the filter sufficient enough to run a planted tank or should I buy some other media?

Thanks

I'd personally get some profiled pond foams to cut to size. You should be able to fit coarse, medium and fine in the bottom tray which will leave you with more space for other media throughout the filter.

I'm not saying the media that came with the filter is insufficient, but slightly modifying the setup will optimise the filter.

In my 4 tray Sunsun filters I use coarse, medium and fine foam in the bottom tray, Eheim Biomech topped with filter floss in the second tray then two further trays which are a mix of Eheim Substrat Pro, JBL Micromec and Biohome Ultimate. The top tray also has a bag of Seachem Purigen.

It's also a good idea to get some coarse foam to use as a pre-filter on the inlet. I use Aqual Turbo sponges which fit perfectly on the inlet, but I'm not sure that would be strictly necessary given that the Ultramax already has a pre-filter.

No need for a pre filter, already has one.
No need for all that media as its just redundant, the stuff you get is good enough and plenty, plus if you are keeping a planted tank then the plants will do a lot of the filtering.
The money you save on not buying extra stuff you don't need can be used for more plants or fish.

I have received the filter today under a week delivery from Poland not bad. Its a monster of a canister filter! It seems well made and will be setting up at the weekend.

I have set the filter up yesterday but have run into a problem... The impellor was making terrible nosie so i opened it up and to my horror the shaft has snapped off at the base of the impellor chamber it must have happened in transit to the uk! After looking at the Aquael exploded diagram it doesnt seem to have that part availible it seems that it comes pre installed into the actual pump? Is there anyone that can help me please?

This is the exploded diagram it on page 15
https://www.aquael.pl/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/katalog_czesci_aquael_2018_1_v1_prev2_974.pdf

Phone up whoever you bought it from and tell them the filter has arrived damaged and either fix it, send a replacement or your money back

I have set the filter up yesterday but have run into a problem... The impellor was making terrible nosie so i opened it up and to my horror the shaft has snapped off at the base of the impellor chamber it must have happened in transit to the uk! After looking at the Aquael exploded diagram it doesnt seem to have that part availible it seems that it comes pre installed into the actual pump? Is there anyone that can help me please?

This is the exploded diagram it on page 15
https://www.aquael.pl/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/katalog_czesci_aquael_2018_1_v1_prev2_974.pdf

Just an update called the company a bought it from they have said they will get it collected and repaired but they are in Poland and will take quite a while, so I though I would call Aquael they asked for some pictures which I sent and they are going to send me the replacement part. They were very helpful and gave me instructions on how to fit it. You have to unscrew the motor housing and remove the shaft from the back of the unit.

Im glad your getting it all sorted out, ive never had to deal with the company but it looks as if they are a good company with good support for customers.

Im glad your getting it all sorted out, ive never had to deal with the company but it looks as if they are a good company with good support for customers.

Got the shaft delivered today and just installed it, all went well and it's up and running at last!

Glad you sorted that out. Its terrible when you are anxiously waiting for something and its DOA.

I had a problem with my A2000, it would just stop running but start again when i plugged it in again, the ebay seller never responded to my messages so paypal gave me a full refund, rang Aquael Poland and told them of the problem i was having and they confirmed it was the filter lid drawing air in and it was a design fault so they are sending me what i need to sort it foc, well happy with that.

I had a problem with my A2000, it would just stop running but start again when i plugged it in again, the ebay seller never responded to my messages so paypal gave me a full refund, rang Aquael Poland and told them of the problem i was having and they confirmed it was the filter lid drawing air in and it was a design fault so they are sending me what i need to sort it foc, well happy with that.

Disappointing that there's a flaw in the design but you can't complain about Aquael's response.

I havent have any issues with mine so far, fingers crossed... let us know which part it is once it arrives, maybe with some pictures so we can check our filters if they arrived already fixed or still have the flaw...

I havent have any issues with mine so far, fingers crossed... let us know which part it is once it arrives, maybe with some pictures so we can check our filters if they arrived already fixed or still have the flaw...
Yes i will do that no problem,should be relativity easy to compare the old and upgraded lid when it arrives

Back